1.9 tracer lifter problems

A

Anonymous

My '95 tracer with a 1.9 liter four now has a noisy lifter, and I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about it without a major teardown. My haynes manual does not show a diagram with the cam installed, and just gives instructions for "removing the cam, lifters, and rocker arms", not for just removing the lifters.

This, of course, involves removing the timing cover and all the belts (a major PITA on a fwd car with A/C and power steering). I'm wondering if I can access the lifters without removing the cam. Does anyone know if you can remove the lifters without pulling the cam out? I don't plan on keeping this car more than a few months, but don't know what will happen if I let the problem get worse. With a back problems, I can't go through the full teardown to remove the cam. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Thor

Is this the Ford design 8 valve engine with the Sohc ? Or the mazda 16 valve Dohc design?
If its the ford motor I think it is very easy.

I just reread my manual- I was looking at the instructions for the DOHC 1.8. :oops: Although it's not shown in a diagram, I think my cam is inside the head instead of on top over the valvetrain. That does make it a bit easier.

But what happens it I just leave it and it gets worse? Will the lifter collapse and send metal throughout the engine? Frankly, I'd rather not mess with it since the car has other problems and will be worth little when I go to sell it.

Back