The Aussie Hemi-6 Valiant engine..

OzHemi

Thought I would share a few pics and info about the Aussie Hemi-6's I am into !
They are really not a Hemi, more like a poly or canted valve engine..but Mopar in Australia liked the Hemi name, so....

Here are some pics of the ported head I have. Stock valve sizes on them are 1.96/1.60 and this head uses a 2.00 intake and standard size exhaust. Flow is about 245 cfm on the intake at .600 (have to look up the exhaust flow, don't recall it off hand)

aak.sized.jpg

aaj.sized.jpg

aai.sized.jpg

aah.sized.jpg

And here is the engine in the car... and yep, it's a Six-Pack ! They made around 302hp. in factory/stock form...not bad!
engine.jpg

Hey, is that the factory yellow, circa 1972?

Looking for the paint code.

The Charger is Vitamin C actually.. just looks yellow in those pics for some reason.. :D

I have a 245 powered VG too :LOL: (it is Sky Blue, with a tan roof/trim)

Clifford sells a similar manifold, or at least used to before Larry the Hairdresser reduced their product line. The Webers can be sourced a lot of different places.

hey
so if there not a true hemi then why the hell they make so much grunt there an over sqaure engine like the 250 but 2v and crossflow still struggle against them?
drift

They are not over square for a start, 3.91 bore x 3.68 stroke.
1.96 intake and 1.6 exhaust valves on the 265.
The ports are nice sized and aim straight into the chamber.
2 barrel, 4 barrel, and triple Webers from the factory.
Factory electrnic ignition from about '73 onwards.
Lots going for them!

hey
ahh ok i thought they where over square like the fords explains a lot.
but i was meaning in whatever configure attion 2bbl 4bbl tripples.
so why dident they make them crossflow at same time as thats the biggest down fall i see with them.
what size is the stem on them as well 7/16 might be a good valve upgrade for the xflow
drift

The reason the 265 and even 245 Hemi is so much better than any 250 is basically because of the cylinder spacings.The Mopar Hemi is really a big block six cylinder engine, and the trick Six Pack E49 even eats 318's, most 340's and certainly all 360 Mopars whole.

The valve, port and piston area is way up on the 250, and the valves are idealy canted for power. The piston is close to flat for good compression, the rods are shorter yet have a better rod ratio, and the crank pins are 2 inches rather than 2.124" and have less friction than a 250. The gudgeon pins and valve guides are oversized for strength.

The rule for power is that the bore spacings have to be as large as possible. Comparitively speeking, comparing a 265 or 245 Mopar to a 250 Ford is like comparing a 402 or 396 Chev to a 400 or 383 Small Block. Dollar for dollar, the big block always wins, even if there is a weight penalty. Dyno and field tests prove it over and over again. I think a 265 is about as heavy as a 351 W, yet just a cam and carb change, and some headers, and its doing low 15 second quarter miles in 3000 pound Valiant sedans even with busted ar$e 3-speed gearboxes.

and the trick Six Pack E49 even eats 318's, most 340's and certainly all 360 Mopars whole.

And the 351C Phase series cars as well :LOL: (at least in a straight line... 8) )

The box-stock/factory E49 engines making just over 300 horsepower were really something for thier day, and even now-a-days I think can hold thier own for power to cubic inch for a basically simple package...

I have some forced induction plans under way, and should be interesting to see where that take me !

Back