Chevrolet’s Vortec 4200 Inline-Six Cylinder

iT'S A BRILLINAT engine. I'd justr drop it in, and use the 4 stage auto they used with in any of the 4200 trucks they came in.

p159130_image_large.jpg

Its comparable to our Aussie Twin cam 4000 Barra engines. They are 244, 255, 321, 340 and 365 hp depending on the if the turbo is added or not.

1729_3mg.jpg

The plus is that the Chev engine is lighter, and more compact than the Aussie 4.0 liter, and you can get the Chevy I6 anywhere.

Just seams wrong to shove a great Chevy engine into an all time Classic Stang. :cry:

Or how about this powerplant????

Technical Specifications:

Type :FORD
3.5L DOHC 24-valve V-6

Manufacturing Location
Lima Engine Plant, Ohio

Configuration
60-degree V-6, aluminum block and heads

Intake Manifold
Composite, split plenum

Exhaust Manifold
Cast iron

Crankshaft
Forged steel

Redline
6700 rpm

Throttle Body
65mm, electronic

Valvetrain
DAMB, 4 valves per cylinder, intake variable camshaft timing

Valve Diameter
Intake: 37mm Exhaust: 31 mm

Pistons
High temperature cast aluminum alloy with low-friction coated skirts, low-tension rings

Connecting Rods
Cracked-powder metal

Ignition
Pencil coil

Bore x Stroke
3.6 x 3.4 in/92.5 x 86.7 mm

Displacement
213 cu in/3.496 cc

Compression Ratio
10.3:1

Horsepower
Ford Edge & Lincoln MKX

265 @ 6250 rpm
Lincoln MKZ

263 @ 6250 rpm

Horsepower per Liter

Torque
250 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm
249 lb-ft @ 4500 rpm

Recommended Fuel
87 Octane

Fuel Injection
Sequential multiport fuel injection

Oil Capacity
5.5 quarts, with filter

Recommended Oil
GF4, 5W-20

It would probably be more work than putting a 390/429 in there, since the V6 it is wider than an FE is. Most likely Mustang II shock towers, etc. A lot of work for little gain.

wallaka":3awf1hir said:
It would probably be more work than putting a 390/429 in there, since the V6 it is wider than an FE is. Most likely Mustang II shock towers, etc. A lot of work for little gain.

yeah i'd agree man, besides if your are just looking for a power boost a 302 could give you decent mileage if built properly, and you know that will fit in easy.

Thanks -- my mind is always looking at something and seeing if there are ways to do something different and hopefully better.

Straight Six":1uwk0bwy said:
What if?? ok ok i know its a chevy set up but would it work in an early mustang--say 1967 coupe? and fuel economy and performance would it rate? Which trans would be a bolt in or minimal modification??

The GM Vortec 4200 engine is a really interesting engine, but fitting one into an early Mustang might be difficult. The engine is very tall and long and you might need to modify the crossmember, firewall and hood to make room to squeeze it in.

For a transmission, yeah, using the stock 4-speed automatic used with the Vortec 4200 in a two-wheel-drive Trailblazer would probably be the easiest approach.

A more interesting use for the Vortec 4200 might be in a something like the vintage Indy car replica Frenchtown Flyer is building. The engine bay in such a car is as long as you want it to be, and height isn't an issue, either.

It might also be at home under the hood of a Jaguar replicar, something like an XK 120, or a D-type clone.

I own a 4.2 inline 6 in a trailblazer. it is fairly good on power stock but the fuel milage SUCKS! my 1981 300 gets way better milage...with a light foot its getting 15 at best

there's a huge thread over at Inliners.org on the 4.2 lot of work going into cleaning up the wire harness and stand alone management systems.One thing to consider also is the olipan etc for clearance.i suggest you read the posts over there to get an idea of some of the issues their having.A race shop in Texas put one in a nova wagon with a 5speed tranny the car with a single turbo was in the high 8's on drag radials.

It is a tall engine, but the oilpan can be cut down or re-sumped to just about 1.25" below the pan-rail. the block is a deep-skirt design that completely encloses the crank & rods well below the pan-rail, so it is manageable.

The mounts aren't that bad- you can use street-rod style biscuit mounts.

IRT engine mgt, there are various levels of support avail- Westers, HP Tuners, etc all offer reflashing of your factory ECM to get rid of the drive-by-wire (DBW) throttle, the anti-theft, and the body control module (BCM) link requirement. Makes me almost wish I hadn't gone to using a Gen VII DFI on mine... NAAAAAH!

Let me know if you need any info. With all the parts avail for the small 6, I'm not sure why you'd want to swap (other than the potential to have MUCH more power).

Back