just fer a laff

A

Anonymous

im not gonna say ill do it. but ive been kicking around the idea of putting a dutra inducted 225 slant six into a 79 mercury zephyr WAGON. just thought id see what kind of reaction the idea would get. i figure ill either be lynched, loved or laughed at, but thats fine too---its just for a giggle.

yea ---gotta love em. ill never give up my fords but i did have a 68dart that had one(weird combo that---factory cruise, auto, power steering and manual drums all the way around.) never woulda given it up had it not been totaled by a drunk driver (NO NOT ME LMAO). anyy way just figured it would be kind of a wacky combo i could take to a show or 2 in the daily driver classes to mess with people lol. you know the drill---some steamroller 'stones out back with a touch of aluminum in the interior(door panels etc). stick in a comp shifter and some dual cherry bombs fer kicks.

oh come now---surely someone must have a few thoughts on the idea---even if its only to call me a traitor to my beloved small block 6

Nope. Thought about it........ & NO ONE that I've known,read about,whatever....has EVER plopped a 225-/6 into a Ford/Mercury Wagon. An NO....you're NOT a traitor....just a li'l off kilter,that's all..... :eek: 8) . ~OO6.

lmao so is a slant 6---what like 30 degrees right lmao i just love that long ram dutra intake--i think it would make a wicked cruiser

:D Hi DCW,if you do the install,PLEASE try to locate the Hyper-pack that Chrysler produced for that engine.Outrageous power will result.Also,use a 4 speed tranny,and some type of traction lock rear.And an ABSOLUTE requirement is MUCHO pictures.Oh yea,don`y worry.Its still a SIX.
Leo

i actually have toyed around with dropping a jeep 4.0 in my futura jsut because i know what a runner it is and parts are plentiful my sister had a '96 cherokee with one ran like a champ.

That's a great idea, go for it.
Where you lead, others may follow! :D
I saw a hyperpak on a car at the junkyard a few years ago, but being a Ford guy I didn't grab it. :stick:

ok now this might be a race to see who does it first because i toyed with putting a 225 slant in my 62 ranchero. it is a really reliable motor, and there are speed parts out the wazoo for it.

What types of transmissions can you bolt up behind a slant six, anyway? Do they include any 4 speed automatics with overdrive? How about 5 speed manuals?

I thought about one for my 4wd Ranger but first finding a good used one without rebuild getting hard. Second crazy amount of adapting. There is believe it or not an adapter to adapt one to a stock SBC bellhousing which in turn isnt too hard to adapt to an older Ford manual transmission. The adapter plate is some crazy price though.

Check out the SlantSix forum. People have adapted 5spds to them. And probably not too hard to adapt a 700R4 automagic as people have adapted that tranny to just about everything out there cause of low first gear and nice overdrive.

I did once put slant six with 3spd into a Volvo 260 in place of a clapped out 6cyl VW diesel with automagic. Called it my Volvo Valiant. Gave it to now ex girlfriend and kinda have regrets though dont much need it. Its what the Valiant should have evolved into only with a nice 5spd and throttle body injection. Instead got the bloated and fast rusting Aspen/Volare and then the K car.

IMHO there are 3 absolute bulletproof American engines out there though long time since any in production. The Ford 300, the Dodge slant six, and horror of horrors to mention on a Ford six forum, the Oldsmobile Rocket V8 (260 to 455). All three hard to kill though people eventually do manage to do it through absolute neglect or else send them to crusher cause they are bored at the reliability and want some flash in the pan new model....

You know, it seems to me that if you can bolt on an adapter to allow a slant six to take a transmission that originally bolted to a Chevy V8 that's about as far as you need to go to get a really terrific transmission attached to it.

:)

shmoozo":2gig57xw said:
You know, it seems to me that if you can bolt on an adapter to allow a slant six to take a transmission that originally bolted to a Chevy V8 that's about as far as you need to go to get a really terrific transmission attached to it.

:)

Not in a Ford 4wd. Ford always puts the differential on the drivers side. Everybody else (except some Jeeps) puts it on passenger side so unless you are replacing axles and transfer case....

That slant six to sbc clutch housing is also mucho denero. http://www.riley-auto.com/ADAPTERS.html Cant find one for manual trannies, link is to one for GM auto tranny. These adapter places dont sell huge quantities of their products so have to make huge profit on each sale. Thats why they tend to focus on Jeep and SBC adapters as that is most volume with people willing to part with their cash. Some make economic sense, some dont. There is one kit out there to splice part of a Dodge 403 transfer case between np435 and a Dana 20, for the early Bronco crowd but could be used other applications. It not only adapts but uses the part of the 403 that is high/low, so you get not only an adapter but a way to lower gear ratio by half. This is a bargain if you need rock climbing creeper gears.

Back