Ancient History: The Continental Motors "Red Seal"

David_Conwill

Okay, kind of a weird question. Ordinarily I wouldn't consider this much of a hot rod motor, but it's a nostalgia thing because they were made in my hometown (Whitehall is about 10 minutes north of Muskegon). Can anybody tell me if the Red Seal motors they were using in the twenties were different from the Continental inline sixers they used in the Kaiser and Frazer? Beyond that, how different are the industrial engines? Does anybody know if cylinder heads, intakes, camshafts and the like will interchange between the passenger car and industrial eninges?

I only ask because it's more than likely I'll be able to find a Red Seal industrial engine somewhere, but it would be cool to find the "experimental" Edmunds head that was available for the Kaiser Darrin or the 2 carb intake that they produced for the taxicabs and be able to bolt it up without having to hold out for a take-out from a K-F.

I appreciate any help, there is minimal history on Continental Motors available online and nearly zero technical history of the engines themselves. I have a sneaking suspicion that the Red Seal name was used on a lot of engines and that the Durant, Star, et al engines probably don't interchange with the 1940s and '50s industrial motors, and that the K-F engine may be a different beast entirely, but there just isn't enough info out there to know anything for sure.

Thanks,
Dave

The only reference I have to the Continental Red Seal engine is in my tattered old copy of Dyke's Instruction Manual published around 1941. It shows the Red Seal as a flathead four-cylinder truck in two versions, a 4.5" bore x 5.5" stroke "L4" engine, and a smaller model "J4" with bore/stroke of 3.75" x 5".

The L4 developed 43 hp @ 1300 rpm. Max torque came in at 625 rpm (amount unspecified).

They gave the cam timing.
In. open @ 10º ATDC
In close @ 20º ABDC
Ex open @ 36º BBDC
Ex close @ 5º ATDC

Intake duration 190º
Exhaust duration 221º

They may well have used the Red Seal name on later engines but I have no reference to that.
Joe

Did a bit more digging. I have a 1950 edition of Chilton's flat rate and service manual. It shows both Kaiser and Frazer with data from 1947-50. The engines appear to be identical from the specs and pictures, also the trannys, clutches, and differentials.

Again, no mention of the Continental name. I know they were used in a great many vehicles, tractors, and industrial applications though, and if the K-F engines were indeed Continentals I really doubt that they varied significantly from their industrial brothers.
Joe

Back