not a big inline, but an inline none the less.

OK

If you dropped from 50 to 30 mpg them you are effectively running at a mixture that is almost twice as rich (1.66). If this were true I would expect your plug to be dead fouled or black. Since they are not it suggests that you are using 1.66 times as much horsepower to do the same work and or you have a power drain some where. Since you have good compression and the engine does not stumble alot on accel it points away from a stickly engine problem. I wonder what you exhast system looks like. Sometimes when a catalitic converter breaks down the debree from it plugs up the muffler. this would creat a lot more back pressure and cause you to have to step on the gas a lot more to get the same power and cause a lousey idle. Can you disconectthe muffler from the cat?
If so you would then look for an improved idle.

have been there done that :unsure: .that is what baffles me,,, new tail section of the exhaust and the converter is like new....you can smell rich exhaust when it idles... i thought maybe draging brakes... but it will coast along time without slowing down...... it's a strange problem though... it just stumbled and has the lost mpg and power...... :unsure::

Your fuel must be going some where. If not through the engine then leaking someplace.

Goos Luck and keep us informed
69.5mav

Have you had any luck yet? Is it equiped with OBD-II? If so then it's not expensive to get a reader ($99 fromJC Whitneys) and check all the different parameters at once. I wonder if your not stuck in warm up mode which runs open loop and rich.

naa no luck as of yet... that is what i am thinking,, if i could find a bone yard around here with a computer i could swap quik ,,, if it idles smooth then the computer is the problem child, if not then look elsewhere... i probly will do more testing here soon,,, i have been spoil'n my 66 at the moment. :p yea this is an OBD-II... i have two friends that have good scanners,, one is a SNAP-ON brand....i want to use the scanner and see what it tells me the coolent is at and compare what a temp guage says.... maybe if i find a junk yard i can "test" at i want to check the injector also... not sure , but maybe the second O2 sensor is bad,,, no code for it though... this is the one after the CAT... i will unplug to see if it sets a computer code....

well i diconected the second O2 sensor, and it set not a single code, it ran the same (crummy)... so i think the last line of attack is a diff computer.....

:oops: well this may sound stupid :oops: ..especially since i did the test 3 times before.... i did a comp test last night when i got home. #1 cly 150 psi.
#2 cly 50psi. #3 cly 150psi. added oil to #2 and it didn't change... looks like a burned valve....the only difference between the last three test and the one i did last night is ,, the prior 3 tests were done with a cool or totally cold engine , last night i did the test with it at highway temps.... the prior tests came at 150psi across all 3 cly.... well i have learned something new again,,, but thanks again for the help too. 8)

burnt valve can be heard at the tail pipe. Also can be found in a leak down test.

hello to all,, sorry i haven't been around lost my internet access for a bit... well the geo is running great!! rebuilt the cly head,,, burnt valve,,, psi test was fine untill i tested it one day and the center cyl was bad,,,, the psi test varied when the engine was hot or cold... weird.. but anyways all is well.......

i glad your back to "everyone hates me because i get 50 MPG"

by the way, i hate you, because you get 50 MPG :D :D :D

8) well if it makes you feel better i get 30ish in the winter,,, and 40 ish in the summer :p the poor thing is getting uni-body cancer, and i don't feel like welding the whole thing up,,, so it will be run into the ground :)

you would be amazed of how well it will haul firwood too :shock:

but for 700 bucks i couldn't turn it down...

use organic rust converter!!!! don't clean off the rust first!!! you will own the damn thing to move to the old folks home. the stuff is amazing. The fumes are even more amazing be careful. I have built steel structures for use in salt water. first spray it with bleach. let it rust a couple months. apply the converter then paint.

Back