Willy's 6 cyl owner!!

Looks like a previous owner figured out how to mount an alternator on it. While not original, it's likely a far more practical choice

I wonder if the original cars they were used in had 12 volt electrical systems.

shmoozo":169edzqp said:
I wonder if the original cars they were used in had 12 volt electrical systems.

Nope. Those would be six volt systems. Ford went to 12 in 1956, VW in 66/67, dunno if Willys ever made the switch.
Joe

Seattle Smitty":3gmbz7f7 said:
That's funny. I had one of those filter canisters that takes a roll of toilet paper when I was young . . . on my F-head Willys!!!

. . . which was before it spun the bearing.

Now, I can't say that the filter had anythiing to do with the spun bearing, because as I said, this was a chronic problem for both the flathead and F-head Willys. But I read a story later about filters that said that the toilet paper types worked poorly because the oil would make channels through the roll, and oil would then flow through the channels essentially unfiltered. This is in fact what I saw when I opened up my filter. I would never use that filter again, though I think I have it around somewhere.

Those filters will channel if not set up correctly. Probably wasn't restricted enough going into the media. I am considering getting one of them myself.
Joe

I'd send you mine, Joe, but it's probably buried so deep that it won't be found until after I've croaked. I'll look, however.

Broke2, I was driving along I-405 at about 50-55mph when the engine commenced clattering. Little brother towed me home. I think I would remember if I ran it out of oil. But contrary to their popular reputation as the G.I. ride that was too tough to kill, Willys engines mostly didn't go more than 30Kmi. I know an Army mechanic in Korean War days who told me the "Jeep-tough" reputation was baloney, and old machinists will tell you the same. Now we will have three guys tell us about their early Jeeps that have 300,000 original miles, so take your choice. In any case, YOU don't have to worry because YOU are going to ask the Jeepster gurus exactly how to modify the oiling system so that your F-head will run forever . . . even with all the groovy speed equipment you'll hang on it (there was a 2-carb manifold!!!!!)

My neighbor had a WW2 vintage Jeep that he used around the farm; never licensed it, just used an SMV sign. I'm pretty sure he overhauled it twice, I doubt it ever hit 40k total. The oil pressure guage dropped to zero at idle, never got above 10 psi but it was the original guage so who knows?

I've owned a couple of early Jeeps, spent way too much time fixing them and not much driving :devilish: I switched over to Volkswagens so as to get more driving time.

Back