292 Chevy Harmonic Balancer

argo

Hey guys, I was hoping someone here could help me. My Grandfather-in-law has a 1974 Chevy Medium Duty straight truck for the farm, with a 292 Chevy six. The harmonic balancer is bad on it, and I was wondering if anybody might have some leads on where we could get a new or reconditioned one at?

Have you pinged the Damper doctor for a quote? Should be readily repairable.

I'll give them a try. Do you have contact info? Also, does anyone know if the 292 can use a 250 balancer? I didn't know if the balancers were different or not. I have access to a good 250 balancer, but I don't want to risk it unless it's a sure thing.

Howdy back Argo:

I don't know if a 250 wil fit a 292, but I do know that the 292 can be adapted to a 250. I bought a 292 damper several years ago to fit onto my 250 in a '65 Chevy II, as a performance upgrade. It never happened because of clearance issues. The 292 is much thicker front to back than a 250. And much heavier.

I think I still have it. If you're interested, I'll look and let you know. If I do it will be $50.00 plus shipping.

Let me know if you're interested.

Adios, David

Where are you shipping from? My brother in law works at UPS, and if you give me a zip, I'll get a quote from him. Also, can you wire me a picture? The truck it is in is a medium duty, and I'd like to check a picture of it against the one on the engine now. Thanks!

***UPDATE*** I found a part number for the balancer. Dorman makes one for this engine, under part number 594-031. Brand new this part costs $123.48 list.

Back