280z

250coupe

my brother just gave me his 75 datsun 280z it has a feul injected big block six 160hp. can somone give me some tips on how to get it running again.

Wrong forum for that particular straight six. I used to have a 1976 280z, very nice car worth spending the time on.
My quick advice is give it a tune up, change all filters, and flush all fluids. Once it is running dependable, you can start to think about suspension, etc.

no no no, its a Datsun/Nissan feul injected inline six but it is alot bigger than my ford 250 i6 i have in my maverick. i guess what i was trying to say is that it is as big as a 300 ford inline six

MustangSix":968f88cy said:
http://forums.hybridz.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86

Try this site.

The Weber carb jetting thread there is worth the trip to that forum all by itself. I'm bookmarking that site for future reference.

Today I started helping a friend put his '71 Datsun 240Z back on the road after sitting for 5 years. This is going to be fun!

The Datsun engine is pretty small in displacement. The 280Z is only 2800 cc, or about 170 ci. The block is pretty compact, but the OHC configuration makes it look large.

Best bang for the buck on a Z-car is a small block Chevy swap.

I got a FI 78 280 Z.....its a pretty easy system to work on, very similar to early 70's VW setups.
Theres a z ownrs tech site, like the Ford 6 site.
Couple of things: if the fuel lines look old, replace them. the fuel is under about 30psi & the lines will leak.
If theres any help I can give, ask away. Youll need a Chiltons or a Clymers.
If I keep my foot out of it, Im gettin almost 35mpg.
Its an odd, primitive injection setup and is actually to a degree adjustable- theres contact points & springs & such, its not all solid state.
In order to meet CA smog standards, it barely runs, but give the mass air sensor 3 clicks richer & advance the intial timing a few degrees & it runs like a champ.
Great rigs. If its a stick, its got bronze phosper bushings so you gotta watch which gear oil you use....corners like a slot car. Thees some junkyard ugrades you can make to the fr brakes & ignition......
the engines are works of art......

Back