1965 AMC 196

matt1967

Famous Member
I just recently bought a '65 Rambler American 330 w/ the 196 and Flash O Matic auto trans. the engine runs fine, but the Carter RBS carb is a little screwy, it will start fairly easy and idle fine cold ( fast idle ), after it warms up a little, releasing the choke will cause it to idle irraticly, flood up and eventully die. the idle speed screw is all the way in. I know it has to have somthing to do with the float and the needle and seat. car is pretty much drivable other than having no idle capabilaties. I have an old " Jiffy " kit for the carb that I will put in it, anything I should watch out for when rebuilding the carb?

Sounds like there may be plugged passages too. Just make sure everything is clear and pay close attention to making the adjustments called for.
Fred

fmartin_gila":1as33p45 said:
Sounds like there may be plugged passages too. Just make sure everything is clear and pay close attention to making the adjustments called for.
Fred
I'v heard the measurements on these carbs are critical to get right, I have a complete manual now, also a specification/ adjustment procedure and blow up scan in's from a Motors manual, and the carb kit instructions, I should be good w/ that... what is worrying me, is my auto parts supplier cannot get a new float, I think the 1 in it might be sinking.

matt1967":2oufqvyf said:
fmartin_gila":2oufqvyf said:
Fred
I'v heard the measurements on these carbs are critical to get right, I have a complete manual now, also a specification/ adjustment procedure and blow up scan in's from a Motors manual, and the carb kit instructions, I should be good w/ that... what is worrying me, is my auto parts supplier cannot get a new float, I think the 1 in it might be sinking.

Unless you are really concerned with keeping an all original carb on the engine I have to believe you could substitute some other one-barrel carb in for it with a few small adjustments to linkage and fuel line and such. Pick something for which you could get tuning parts (jets and such) and it should be possible.

I could try that, but I'd have to get a carb, then rebuild it.. dosn't make any sense to me, the RBS is a decent carb that flows good, theres no reason to change it.

The RBS is a decent carb. If you do have a bad float, you might try to save it, or you may have to pull more off some junkers to find a good one. Also ck yellow pages for carb shops, most larger cities have a few, and there is Hemmings. Usually, unless you are trying to up the performance, stock systems are the best all-around. Way back in my dark past, I owned a 1959 and a 1960 Rambler. Both were I6 with Auto, and as I remember, were very trouble free cars.
Fred

fmartin_gila":3n7x6ydb said:
The RBS is a decent carb. If you do have a bad float, you might try to save it, or you may have to pull more off some junkers to find a good one. Also ck yellow pages for carb shops, most larger cities have a few, and there is Hemmings. Usually, unless you are trying to up the performance, stock systems are the best all-around. Way back in my dark past, I owned a 1959 and a 1960 Rambler. Both were I6 with Auto, and as I remember, were very trouble free cars.
Fred
The carb doctor has aftermarket nitrophotyl floats for $25 a bit expensive, but I have 1 on order

Just as an update to what's happened w/ the carb issue... I found a NOS carter Zip fit RBS on ebay for $60 so I snagged it.. stuck it on and the car runs like a top

yea... I did send out my original carb out for a professional rebuild ( once I got the bowl off I realised it was no holley and put it back on ).. when I got it back it was running just like it did, only diffrence is the carb looked new, and it was able to idle hot... I sent it back on warranty and have not recived it back.

OLD Thread, eh? needy fella, tho

I was tryin to follow the thread - the orig. carb was a rebuild?
Lots of guys on here find they don't trust a rebuild and do it (sometimes) again. No probs then.

I have a RBS I'd like to find more info about. Not sure you can help -

It's numbers check out as a '69 AMC (may B "American"). I want to put it on a Ford 250 but the American had a smaller motor than the 250 (3.2,3.3, & 3.8L). There were some near 4.1L ( the 250s) i.e. Ambassador (4.o, 4.2) and Hornet (252 or 4.1L).

Can you tell me a forum/site or on-line club, retailer, or do you have any ideas to help (linkage style, throttle boar sz, bolt spacing and most imp. - CFM) me gather more info on these carbs?

Thanks.
BTW: in about '68/9 I had an Rambler American 440 (I think) convertible that ran so smooth and quiet when I pulled up to a stop people laughed because they thought I'd stalled.

Back