motor swap

A

Anonymous

Based on what I've researched here and other sites, the Ford inline six is a good swap for my 59 Rambler. Would also like to have Automatic trans and different rear end. I'm a newby to Vintage American iron especially resto mod stuff. Anyone on this Forum done this swap? This car will be a cruiser and gas mileage is important. Would also like to replace leaf spring rear with IRS-anyone make a kit or is there a car out there that I can pull parts from. Thanks for any imput!

i think most all of this kind of swap would need to be fabricated special for your car. as far as i have seen not too many people make things specially fit to go into a rambler.

Given the size of a 59 Rambler, you might find a Ford 250 or 200 would be a much easier swap requiring less firewall surgery and far less front suspension upgrading

59RamblerAmerican":1cvgr9yx said:
.... This car will be a cruiser and gas mileage is important.....

With this in mind, it will truly be difficult to improve upon the stock Rambler for fuel economy seeing how that was their main claim to fame. I take it there must be some reason why you wish to dispose of the original engine; a 200 cubic inch small block Ford six will be about ideal IMO. This will be pretty much a custom project as I highly doubt you will find anyone anywhere who has done this exact swap.

Not trying to discourage you, I like this concept. A Rambler with a drivetrain that you can get parts for 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Have fun,
Joe

The original post in this thread is a bit old, but having said that, if it were me I would consider one of the Jeep 4.0 engines with the later fuel injection as a possible swap. Find one from a 2WD jeep with an overdrive transmission attached and you could get better mileage and better performance as well.

Another option would be a 232 or 258 cubic inch AMC engine. One of these from a 60's or early 70's era Rambler or AMC car would likely look right at home in the older Rambler.

You might need to change the rear axle set up if you do swap out the engine and transmission because some of the Ramblers from that era had torque tube rear axle setups which would be difficult to adapt to later transmissions. It would likely be possible to adapt something like a Heidt's IRS setup into the thing if you really wanted to go that direction, but you'd likely need to find a good hot rod shop to install something like that. That isn't a swap for novices. Frankly, I'd be more inclined to look into a straight axle setup with either parallel leaf springs or perhaps a four bar setup.

Chances are quite good that the original engine in the car was a 196 cubic inch inline 6, and from what I can tell it was produced in both flathead and an overhead valve versions during that era. It evidently has a reputation for being a bothersome powerplant that requires a lot more maintenance than most similar engines making it a poor candidate for a rebuild.

I'd either suggest a Ford 200 or if fuel mileage is really important, consider a 2.3L or 2.5L 4cyl out of a 90s era Ranger. I'd suggest the 5spd though if you want gas mileage, whether the four or six cylinder. Its been long time since I've even thought of a Ramber American let alone seen one, but this was a smallish compact car if I remember correctly, so fuel injected Ranger engine would easily handle things. And unlike finding a good condition 200, finding a good used Ranger 4cyl engine is easy and they usually very cheap. Fuel injected version, you would need all the computer harness stuff and the like. The 90s era Ranger engines were very long lasting with some regular maintenence.

If you have surplus money, you can get a brand spankin new 3.0L GM marine engine. Its the old pushrod carbureted 2.5 Iron Duke 4cyl with longer stroke and no pollution stuff. Made for use in boats, but shouldnt be problem using it in a pre pollution car. Some guy makes a kit to put them in ancient Landrovers where there isnt room for a six and parts for the OEM engine are getting expensive.

Ranger_gone_straight":2ge7jbjc said:
If you have surplus money, you can get a brand spankin new 3.0L GM marine engine. Its the old pushrod carbureted 2.5 Iron Duke 4cyl with longer stroke and no pollution stuff. Made for use in boats, but shouldnt be problem using it in a pre pollution car. Some guy makes a kit to put them in ancient Landrovers where there isnt room for a six and parts for the OEM engine are getting expensive.

Now that's an interesting option; a long-stroke, 3.0 liter four cylinder engine rated to put out about 140 HP at the crank. I wonder if those would accept the same headers, cams and intakes that can be used on the 2.5 Iron Duke engines.

By the way, I found a supplier for the 3.0L GM marine engines (both new and remanufactured) so I'll post a few links here to their web site:

MichiganMotorz.com home page

New 3.0L Base Marine Engine (1967-2009 Replacement)

Remanufactured 3.0L Marine Engine (1967-2009)

I'm sure there are other sources for these engines, of course, but for somebody wanting to take a look at some images of the engines this web site is a decent starting point. The new engines are slightly more complete in that they seem to include things like ignition systems and valve covers.

I've seen a Chevy 383 shoehorned into a 53 rambler, but my dad is planing on using a 97 trans am subframe with the lt1 from my buddy's car he wrecked

Back