Info on Allis-Chalmers G-262 engine?

jamyers

1K+
VIP
Subscriber
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2019
I'm looking for info on my grandfather's old Gleaner II C-model's engine. From what I can tell searching online, it's an A-C G-262 (gasoline, 262 cid). I've found parts sources, but not a lot of discussion about its strengths / weaknesses, reliability, characteristics, or pics in general.

This one still runs fine, but no telling how many hours are on it. Grandpa bought it new in '62, it's always been barn-stored, and gets maybe 100-200 acres of wheat run through it each year.

Anybody know anything about old combine engines?

Well, there are places to buy a service manual online. (I don't know if that helps you at all.) Here is a link to one of them.

ALLIS CHALMERS G262 Power Unit..Service Manual

Beyond that and some places with parts, I pretty much find no info on these kinds of engines, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised to learn that there are online communities of folks who collect and restore old agricultural equipment (mainly tractors, I would imagine) who might have some info on the things.

Good luck with that.

Any markings on it? Back in the day, Waukasha, Buda, and Continental engines were used on a very wide variety of equipment. Ford also put out what they called an industrial engine, used on a lot of equipment, as did International. Lot of possibilities, some may or may not still be in business.

Fred

No markings on it that I can find, but I'm positive it's an A-C G262. Both the owner's manual and the A-C website indicate that this combine only came with A-C power.

Here's what I have learned so far:
Bore/Stroke: 3.5625x4.375 inches [90 x 111 mm]
Displacement: 262 ci [4.3 L]
Compression: 8.0:1
Rated RPMs: 2000
Engine HP: 64

It's got sleeved cylinders in a massive cast iron block.

jamyers":2zo5h8h4 said:
No markings on it that I can find, but I'm positive it's an A-C G262. Both the owner's manual and the A-C website indicate that this combine only came with A-C power.

Here's what I have learned so far:
Bore/Stroke: 3.5625x4.375 inches [90 x 111 mm]
Displacement: 262 ci [4.3 L]
Compression: 8.0:1
Rated RPMs: 2000
Engine HP: 64

It's got sleeved cylinders in a massive cast iron block.

Long stroke, modest compression ratio, lots of low RPM grunt, super massive heavy-duty construction ...

Yeah, sounds like a fairly typical industrial/agricultural engine. Gotta love those things.

:)

Back