MWM 6.102TA

big blue

OK folks, I've got a challenge for ya. The Brazilian built MWM Sprint diesels (2.8 inline 4 and the 4.2 inline 6) that GM and Ford use in their pickups outside the US market, what do you have to do to get one of them into the States? They are excellent diesels and get killer mpg (over 30 mpg in a Ford F250), inline pumps and freeflowing head.

big blue":drgjp14h said:
OK folks, I've got a challenge for ya. The Brazilian built MWM Sprint diesels (2.8 inline 4 and the 4.2 inline 6) that GM and Ford use in their pickups outside the US market, what do you have to do to get one of them into the States? They are excellent diesels and get killer mpg (over 30 mpg in a Ford F250), inline pumps and freeflowing head.

You could look in Australia. We had a brief run of F250s and the F350s here and they where built by Ford in Brasil and exported to Ford Australia.
The Inline Diesel was not so popular here as most like the big V8 Diesel, but you can try a few of the Effie wreckers. The Brasilian built Effies did not last long here before they went off the market so you can decide what the Aussies made of them ;)

Why not try a Cummins Swap :unsure:: Would be easier for parts. :D

Call me difficult, I guess. No really, the reason is is that Diesel Power magazine did a small article on a Canadian who swapped a 6.102 into his Suburban and reported that he is getting 37-42 mpg. All that and equal performance with the 350ci small block that he took out. A Cummins would be easier to obtain, yet with the MWM you can make the swap with all factory equipment. I just became a father so economizing and having big room for my family is important.

Well for some reason that Diesel was not popular here.

I can understand your reasoning but would suggest you may want to find out more about that Diesel.

You may have an awful long downtime if you ever need anything for it. Finding and shipping could get fairly expensive in a hurry. Parts availability could be sparce. Just throwing couple things out to be considered.

Fred

fmartin_gila":18zcv73e said:
You may have an awful long downtime if you ever need anything for it. Finding and shipping could get fairly expensive in a hurry. Parts availability could be sparce. Just throwing couple things out to be considered.

Fred

Part of the point I was trying to make when I sugested a Cummins Swap instead.

fmartin_gila":2zgf8fa7 said:

Fred

You got that right, Fred. God help you if you ever need anything as ordinary as a water pump for the thing. The local parts counter guy will think you're on crack or something. I can almost hear him now ...

"Whudduyah mean ya need a Brazilian water pump? Say, you aren't coming on to me or something, are you bub? Cuz, listen, I'm not into that sort of thing. Oh, wait ... did Dave put you up to this? Where is that SOB? DAVE! IS THIS YOUR IDEA OF A JOKE?!"

:)

I see I have tapped into comedy night! I actually saw a 'burb down in TX for sale with a dually conversion and a Cummins for sale. May look into that.

Over on the Fordification site, there is quite a long thread about Cummins conversions. Somewhere in that long thread, there are links to other Diesel conversion sites. If you will go there and read all the way through it, and the linked sites, you will find out a whole world of info.

Fred

i have a s/duty. 4.2tdi mwm. 700nm.. done 250ks. 2000 yr.. anyone still interested in these.. or parts location.. brazil mainly or south africa. canada used to have them. u.k. also. cheap in africa.. engines were built under lic. from germany.. so this could be a source.. next 4.2 was common rail.. never seen any..still popular in brazil. re built. so they must have parts.. brazil to contact is like mars.. damn hard.. & yes,, im after a w/pump,, before it shts.. only other part that is suspect is the oil pressure spring, but thats easy fix..

You don't have to look so far. In Mexico cummins sells the ISF 2.8 and 3.8 and have for years. Also 4d55 Mitsubishi and comparable Isuzu etc.

Back