Big Inch Ford Four Cylinder

Quick 8

I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with this, but I just found out that Mercruiser made an inline four cylinder that they called the 470 and 485. It is an aluminum block four cylinder based on half of a Ford 460. It has 224 cubic inches, and has 185 horsepower stock. With a good aftermarket aluminum 460 head, these could be unbelievable. And, with the aluminum block, it would be REALLY light weight.

Stock, they had some problems with head gaskets and also with the charging system. Mercruiser has fixed the head gasket issue with a new gasket design that holds up well. The charging system was problematic and was somehow part of the crankshaft. From what I understand, most people fix this by mounting a normal automotive alternator to it.

Is anyone familiar with these?

Survived but put on hold. Ike, lay-off, retirement, hip replacement. Building home to get out of FEMA trailer.
Gave Ranchero to one of our members in Ok.
Actually have two engine, will build best block.
For build have Elderbrock Performer head, 4 ea BBC "H" beam rods, roller rockers, stud girdle, 300 harmonic dampener, other bits and pieces.
Plan is to turn crank to BBC rod journal size destroking 0.020" to match deck height for a CR of 10 : 1 using KB 152 piston. External electric water pump. Cam basically mild. Several sources say limit max rpm to 6,000. Bad inherent 4 banger vibes.

Thad, would you happen to know the weight of this engine?

I assume that without the marine exhaust manifold and switching to an aluminum head, it should be pretty darn light weight.

Weighted before Ike, IIRC lomg block w / iron head was 264#. The head is a garden variety 460. Just about everything except block, crank and cam are 460.
The Mercruiser harmonic dampener was also a generator combo. Weird. Told to use 300 hd with shortened snout. Several alternator brkts on ebaY. Water pump internal drives off end of cam.
If interested go ebay motors, boat motors, 470 search. Often for sale, prices ridiculous to sublime. :roll:

Cool. According to a 460 build-up I found, the Edelbrock heads saved 31 pounds each. That would get the weight of the long block down to 233#. That is REALLY nice and low! I assume your "long block" weight was without intake and exhaust manifolds?

Also, when you say you are using a 300 damper, is that from a Ford 300 inline 6?
And, I heard that Chevy transmissions bolt up to this block. Have you confirmed this yet?

Thanks again,
-Jim

Dampener 300 Ford 6. Bellhousing pattern is Chevy but I plan on an adapter plate to C-4, 250 Ford flexplate fits crank and I'd be able to use a Ford starter. Do not know what Chevy stick trans flywheel will fit has to be zero balanced, don't Chevy starter to trans location.

Veddy Interesting...

So can you buy just a driver's-side header for a Ford 460?

Since you'll keep the revs below 6K, why all the HD rod work?

The rods? Ah yes visions of grandeur. 470 half of a 460 WOW then I can poke and stroke and build the Godzilla of all 4 banger 260 ci or so, easy all the parts are available, use BBC rods stroke 3/8" and BBF stroke pistons. YEHAAAW!
Wrong, communicate with a racer who built and ran one at Bonneville. He warned me about the 4 banger vibes, against stroking and limiting rpm to 6-6,500. He also said the stock cam was good for street with aluminum head should make 1-1.25 hp/ 1ci. Fine that's very close to 1hp/ 1 lb engine weight. Not bad.
The rods are new Engels off ebay, some rodder misplaced two so were cheap. Set of Harland Sharp roller rockers, 15 perfect one boogered, competition headers for 460 in 80's series F-100. On all these items only one bid - me. The head was some racer's spare, never heard of one spare head for a V-8 but that what he said. And it was new and cheaper than buying a single from Edelbrock.

Guys:

I believe there are a couple of articles on Mercruiser 4-banger builds in the Inliners International "12-Port News" publication. As I recall, one covered a 270 ci injected motor. I also remember seeing a twin Merc 4-banger front engine dragster somewhere on the web (but can't find the link right now). Pretty cool!

Russ

Back