5.7L inline 6 Jeep Motor???

Ranger_gone_straight

Ran across something weird.

http://fayar.craigslist.org/pts/2462566482.html

In case this listing disappears, here is the ad minus the phone number:

345 cubic inches, inline six cyl.,custom ground crank and cam, flat top racing pistons, custom lifters, custom rods,custom rocker arms,custom flex plate, an offenhauser intake with 850 cfm Webber carb. The motor runs great with lots of power. 330 Hp & 550 ft.lb.tor. bolts up to any bellhousing that fits a 4.0L Jeep also the motor mounts are the same as a 4.0L Jeep. This motor was originaly in a 70's model 2 1/2 ton Jeep comanchee. We built it for rock crawling in a Jeep cherokee and it runs great . My camera is dead and i will get the pics.on here ASAP and I hope it goes to a good home :) OR PLZ Call me @ 479-685-XXXX for any other inquiries .

Is this person meaning the old Continental OA-331 gas engine used in early M35 2.5 ton trucks by REO before Kaiser and AM General took over production. Thats not in the 70s though, thats in the 50s. All later engines in such vehicles were multifuel/diesel. And never heard of the M35 2.5 ton called a Comanche? Wasnt that one of marketing names given some version of the J10/J20/J30 pickups?

Or is this person confused and meaning the AMC 258 engine? Sounds whole lot more like a 258, but dont think you can stroke one upto 345 cube??? Think you would need a bigger block with bigger diameter pistons to get that kind of displacement? Ok google is my friend... found Flat Land Racer stroker kit for a 258 that if you bore the block to .060 over, you can get max of 282 cube out of it. For a mere $1600 plus shipping... Still nowhere close to 345....

Yes I belive the seller is confused about the displacemnet.
The common stroker for the AMC six is a 4.0L block and a 258 crank and rodds. It makes a 4.5L to 4.8L or larger engine depending on the bore.
And that is it. You are just not going to get 345 inches out of a regular 4.0L based engine.

I guess him referring to a "Jeep" "2 1/2 ton" truck got me confused. Thought maybe there was some unique military engine I'd never heard of as there were obviously no "Jeep" "2 1/2 ton" civilian trucks, though Kaiser made the M35. So just very confused seller that really doesnt know what he has....

I get kick out of posts/ads calling an inline... a V6, have seen several Ford pickups listed as having a 300 or 4.9L "V6" and talking about replacing "both heads" on an inline... V8 mentality.

When in the Army I drove a late 1960's Jeep M715 pickup these were called a (5/4) 1 1/4 ton had an overhead cam 230 Tornado inline six. These sixes were big am sure they are able to be stroked. Jeep also built bigger trucks for Mil. and Civil. use

Back