Larger IHC 6 in a 1950 L160 Binder

BIG 6 farmer

I know its real slow over here, hope to get an answer. 1950 IHC 2 ton? Truck. Flatbed, 220 inch 6, & only a 4 speed. Used to be a small town Fire Truck, so its still very good. Got it to haul hay ( 2.5-3 tons per load). will be on County, gravel roads ( under 50). Prob. is i know its going to suck real bad pullin the hills. Im thinkin a larger/newer Blue or Black Diamond IHC 6. Im real green to what swaps in Corn Binders. Been reading up, very confusing ( and they say Fords are hard ). for now, im goin for a Brownie Aux. trans. If all else fails, swap in a Ford 300 six & go. BUT, i really wanna keep it all Binder.

Cool23":21vdpsfg said:
You could always swap in a Diesel.
That might be a good option, but pricey. This Truck is so good & original, have this silly idea of restoring it. I was wrong on the Engine. Tin tag in the cab says SD (Silver Diamond?) 240, 93 HP @ 3400 RPM

I use to service an old IH truck (1956 or 7) that had a Black Diamond six was a tough engine. The company also had a few newer Corn Binders, one had a Perkins diesel (six) an a couple had the 392 V8 gas engines. All of them could haul big loads, and except for the newer V8 trucks they were also fairlly low geared and slow. Never did any IH engine swaps but there is some interchangeability on some parts over the years. Just about any six should be easy enough to swap.

93 hp! Plenty of power if you have lots of time and a fist full of gears. You'll get furious displays of DuraStroke passing craziness besides. Let em wait I say

The Engine is so sound, hooked elect. ign. to fresh points. It really liked that, starts like NOW. Im looking for an Aux. Trans. (Brownie) so i can split the shifts. Thinking thats all i need. Be hauling 3 tons , or less of hay. On Gravel roads, under 50, goin 10 miles or less. Those roads, a lot of tractors & such. Any cars behind ya, too bad. @ local U-Pull it yard. Lookin over a 59? Binder with a Blue or Black Diamond & 5 speed trans. Engine has the high mount Dist. Wantin to haul home. BUT, Engine stuck. looks like Crankshaft/ smoked Bearings ? I can do better, Trucks like that still around here that run good. Really like the little 240. Got to for now, need to get some hay home in less than 2 weeks. (Dammed Horses, not mine)

Got the Brownie here for you would swap for a Clark 5 speed or a T19. :nod:

Wish we were closer. But, might be road trippin your way in 2 months? Your Brownie have shifter with it? What would the Clark 5 speed be out of ? I know i can find a T 19 around here. Alot of old Truck parts still around in the Midwest. I will keep that as an option :nod: (y)

I don't have a shifter for the Brownie I was going to make simple lever to use direct and over, but a three speed floor shifter might be made to work too. Trying to find something to work in my 56 F350 transport have a 317 (Big ford trucks and Lincoln's Y Block) and a fresh 300 six to use. There were some Clark's used in the bigger Fords and other trucks think in the late 60's to 70's am looking for one that is over in 5th this is going to be a hy way truck mostly. Just found out that the 1955 and 56 F750 to 900 used a Clark 264-2 with the 317 engine this would be the bell that I have. Don't have a 300 truck bell at the moment to compare the trans bolt pattern with though. I guess was way off as the Clark 5 speeds were used from the mid 1950's through into the 1980's.

Saw elsewhere they used a Hurst 3 speed shifter on a Brownie. I would only use direct & over, simple stick, yes. I will keep an eye out for a Clark 5 speed O.D. & a T19. Always sniffin around. Would that late 50s IHC with the 5 speed i saw be a Clark O.D. ? goin back to Bone Yard Wed. will see what it is.

:unsure: It might they sure used them in IH and like the "Big Job" Ford trucks F and N series trucks and maybe P series. I think the IH is almost the same as a Ford on bolt pattern on the bells, going to have look at the specs and check if have anything in my old files and notes.

That IHC in the junk yard is a much heavier Truck than mine. Has Dana wheels, 5 speed, & 2 speed axle. 282, 308? Blue, or Black Diamond 6. Hell of a Spring stack in the rear. I will ck for # on Trans. Hope its still there. Thanks Coupe Boy. That Shifter takes me back to in the day. a lot of stuff had 3 on the trees. First thing ya got was a Hurst shifter. It was so uncool to have the wore out Grand pa shifter. The Red Binder, is a newer version of mine. The 48, is a KB series. Mostly for Road Tractor use. a lot had the biggest Red Diamond 6 cyl. (not sure size) @ the end in the early 70s?, they had a RD, Super RD, Royal RDs 450 & 501 inch 6 cyl. They are cool just to look at. Look em up, i know they got pictures on Binder Planet. Its easy to be sick for an old Binder Truck. Got a Farm All 806 gas, love it too.

I've got a gas Farmall 400 wide front, swartz loader, Loftness 7.5" snowblower, I need to either find a cab or a heat hauser for it, blowing snow with no cab sucks. I used to have an IH856D, it had a cab and Koyker K5 loader, but it was just too big for most things around my house. Dad has a Farmall 400 too with an 8ft blower, no loader. He also has a narrow front H.
Not to side track your thread too much... but this was a couple years ago at my Dad's house when I was thinking about getting a tractor from him to use at my house.
Yard Crawl at Dads House (pic heavy)
The neighbor has a diesel 706, and the other neighbor used to have a gas 806. Before he passed in the early 90's my Uncle did all his field work with a diesel 806 no cab and duals, his loader tractor was a Super MTA diesel (started on gas and then you had to flip the levers to convert it over to run on diesel)

Locally we have an international salvage yard, they may have parts of interest for you. Even if they don't have it, I've found that those guys love all things IH and would be willing to give you information if you call them.
http://www.mitchellstractors.com/

If you look through his 'trucks' page you will see a crew cab, I have been talking with a local business who happens to have a 2wd parked out back with 345/727. One of my first vehicles was a '73 Travel-All had a 345/727, it was loaded. Power windows, power steering, air conditioning, divorced transfer case. The windows and the power steering worked (not much else) :LOL: Out at the farm we have a couple Scouts.. one with a 304/T19 (or T18, don't know for certain) and another with a 345/727. If I never mentioned this before, my family had a tendacy to 'collect' items of interest...

Well Coupe Boy, didnt know you was a Farm type Guy. Glad you sick for the Red Iron too. over the years, (early 60s on) We Farmed with 560s, 656,706,806. All Diesels, no cabs.Kept some Ms around too. Had corn , & hay. alota hogs, some cattle. Does that parts place up there have alota stuff ? I like what your family collects!

I have never bought anything from Mitchells Tractors. I have been over there a couple times and they have a large collection of stuff to choose from. Also there is another place localled Biewer Tractor (http://www.salvagetractors.com/) that has a lot of stuff, just not specialized in IH like Mitchells is.

I lived on a hog farm for a while, worked with a lot of farmers growing up, spent time cleaning grain bins at the local Co-Op. But my family never were farmers.. Mostly truck driver, mechanics, construction workers, and general laboreres. I am the 'white sheep' of the family, I work in IT... but I still live in the country and keep my old junk around..

As much as I'd like to find a 656 Hydro gas to use around my house, only problem is that it would never fit inside my current shop and is far to large for most of my tasks. When my wife finally decides that we need a new barn (the day is coming) I am most likely going to retire the IH400 for strick hay moving and get something smaller like a DX40 that is a little more managable for blowing snow around the house and mowing the pasture in the summer.

FWIW, my neighbor works at the local Case production facility and in charge of their North American Test facility, another neighbor works for a Case implement dealer. Bobcat skidsteers and the loaders for their CT tractors are made out in Gwinner ND (about 50 miles from my house), their corporate office is here in Fargo. John Deere just opened a huge new office facility in North Fargo and they manufacturer some seeding equipment out in Valley City ND.

I'd be worried if I were talking to anybody in this area that didn't either farm or know somebody that farms.

Its alot like that here too. Ya get away from Omaha area, its a whole different world. Its all related to Agriculture. We still have most of our Farm left. Been in Family 140? years. @ this time it does not produce, other than putting up hay (rented ground) for Old Folks stupid Horses. My Brothers & i, been thinking about raising Vegitables. Want to get an M & an H, with equipment to do small Vegi Farm. More for our own eating. (sell some?) :nod:

Back