60's scout

Invectivus

Subscriber
Gold Supporter
I'm looking at getting a 60's scout since i can't afford a bronco, and i was wondering if anyone had anything good to say about their little 4 banger?

The Old Man bought one back in the 70s. He had to work on the manual Trans. It had a 4 cyl., ran good. Had it for a few years, we liked it. Im sure the 4 cyl. was half of a 345?- V8 IHC. Scouts are better than a Bronco, cooler too! Go on Binder Planet Forums, they all about a Scout. :D

It was a pretty big 4 banger actually, and worked well judging by the one I drove. Was there a turbo option??

Nashtooth":kwfb5w1c said:
It was a pretty big 4 banger actually, and worked well judging by the one I drove. Was there a turbo option??
Thinking maybe? The last years of Scouts, had a Diesel option (Nissan Engine). Seems like they had a Turbo Diesel too? Im mostly a Ford man, but in my opinion a Scout better than an early Bronco. The Ford rusted out twice as fast, and they fetch crazy money now. And i think the Scout drove better. 78,79 Bronco, now that was a good one. :nod:

I had a turbo diesel Scout Traveller that had been ridden hard and put away wet so the cost of renewing the Nissan motor choked me up. Shoulda kept it. 3.3 L diesel sixes aren't anything rare on the world market; here in the USA it's otherwise. We have to have 6 or 7 L to drive to the rodeo. I got 24 mpg with 3.73 gearing. Dang me.

I would love to have a Scout with a Diesel in it. Years ago , the Ol man & my Cousin both had 81 Datsun Pick-ups. They had 4 cyl. Diesels with 5 speeds. Ran great, performance was on par with the Gas version. My Cousin claimed to have got 45 mpg on a Hyw. trip. They both ran perfect, till the bodies rusted off. One sat around a while, wanted to pull the Drive train. It never happened, still kickin my self. :banghead: :devilish:

I'm a bronco fanatic, got 2... but if you really wanna improve the performance, why not put a inline ford 6 in the scout? ford parts are easier to find in the long run vs the scout mech parts... might be cheaper of all worlds.

Yes, your right there. I know its been done, alot? Read on here?, guy who swapped out the IHC 345V8. For a 300 Ford six. He told how he swapped out the main shaft,(T19?) so he could mate the Ford to the Scout Trans. He said the Scout ran better, & got better mileage after the swap. (y)

the lill Scout is known as the "800" model (60? 62 1st yr.? original SUV along w/the Willies?). May B google that (IH 800) to see a pic.
has a weird rectangular (in)dent in the tailgate, never could figure that out.

The IH line was put together from a buncha other companies (chebby motor, ford tranny?, somebody else's rear end?, etc)
Yes, later yrs. (Scout I & II) had 6 cyl Jap diesels (as well as gas, I don't think 4 cyl des, but may B) motors and grew to challenge the K5 king'o-the-hill.

Almost bought an 800 in the '80s but they were goin outta business then & the fed law was 'only need to make replacement prts for 7 yrs. after bankruptcy' so got my bronk. The bronk looks fashioned after the scout fersure! Actually like the 800 style better. May B put it on a bronk frame w/a 225 slant 6 motor? Oooo, sinful? Isn't that the only straight 6 w/intake on opposite side as exh? It's been 45 yrs. since I had 2 170 slant 6s.

Back