Late 50's REO Gold Comet 331 cu in gas 6 cyl

100_2023

Just wondered if anyone had any experience or knowledge about the late 50's REO Gold Comet 331 cu in gas 6 cyl engine. I've found a late 50's gas powered deuce and a half with one in it. It has a 4 speed with PTO and a winch. From what I've read, they were of a pretty heavy duty design at a time before diesels came into their own. Just wondered about ruggedness, reliability and longevity along with torque. What were they known for? All coments negative and positive would be appreciated. Thank you.

Darrell

I maintained and drove a 57 Diamond T Reo tractor with tanker trailer had a big Hal Scott straight six about 650 cu. in. 5 speed with a 3 speed Brownie and 2 speed rear axle. It ran on propane, was very powerful would out pull the diesels of the day and was trouble free.

If you get it, be easy on it. My guess is parts are nil? Ck. out Egge Engine parts to see what they got for the Museum/ Parade Truck :nod: Not hating, sounds cool (y)

Thank you guys for the input.

Bubba

That statement, ".....was very powerful would out pull the diesels of the day and was trouble free." is what I have been reading everywhere about them, even their small sixes.

Big 6 farmer

I hadn't thought about parts availability, thanks for a reminder. I'll check out Egge's site.

Darrell

:unsure: Hey super4ord.Guess what.Try contacting one of the outfits that restore WW2 armor/vehicles.Would make a SURE bet that they could steer you to a supplier of needed parts.Also,IF you can get the duce and a half reasonable,you would have some primo trading stock for engine parts.How does THAT answer sound?Pretty good,EH?
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

In 1962 my father bought a 52 REO School Bus that had the Gold Comet Engine. We converted it to a camper and traveled throughout New England that summer. It was able to climb the Kancamagus Highway in New Hampshire and some of the steeper back roads in Maine. While not fast it had gobs of torque and was fairly dependable with the ignition being the weak point. My father had been in the Army and at one point had been an officer in the field artillery in charge of some of the prime movers so he was familiar with trucks of this size and loved driving the bus.
The bus had an Oneida body 35 feet long and tipped the scales at about 16,000 Lbs with a GVWR over 21,000. It was rated to carry 53 Students. My father decided to go the travel trailer route and he sold the bus to a farmer who used it to transport eggs.
The OA 331 was the standard engine on the REO M35 military trucks starting in the early 50's. Many other engines were soon offered including the multi fuel models and larger displacement models.
Regards
rikard

Be careful if you go the Mil-surplus route. All the manufacturers built to sell to the Military. When I used to be a Fleet Mechanic, we had a wire pulling rig that was built up on a deuce & half and it was manufactured by Studebaker. During the time I was in the USMC(1956-1967), when fixing different vehicles we sometimes had to know who made it to get the right parts.

Fred

Back