Coil Theory

DaGr8Tim

VIP
I think the canister coil on my CJ is bad (voltage in, but nothing out). I've got a spare coil from a late 90's Jeep inline kicking around in the garage.

From what I understand, the CJ coil has a resistor that steps the voltage to the coil down to 8 volts. The new coil doesn't have a resistor and has 12 volts at the coil.

Would it be possible with alittle wiring to use the later 12 volt coil on my CJ? I'm wondering if I can get a strong spark by doing this. Also, I'm wondering with a stronger spark, if I can open my spark plug gap a bit.

Eventually I want to go an HEI setup, but for now to get it running, I was wondering if this was possible.

It should be as simple as pie to do that. Basically you'd just cut out the resistor from the circuit. I think there might be a couple other factors in whether it makes a hotter spark though, it would depend on the resistance in the original and the new coil, right?

Asa":33rx3gom said:
It should be as simple as pie to do that. Basically you'd just cut out the resistor from the circuit. I think there might be a couple other factors in whether it makes a hotter spark though, it would depend on the resistance in the original and the new coil, right?

That's what I'm wondering. I have this accel coil that's supposed to be a "performance" coil from my 98 Cherokee. It'd be nice if I could use that and get a hotter spark out of it.

Back