Slant 6 Upgrades for Cheap?

crash-harris

Famous Member
Got a buddy in class that brought in his 1964 Dodge Dart with a skant 6. It's still in the condition that he bought it in with split 3-2 headers, and Offy intake and a Quadrajunk. Has a push button on the dash slushbox behind it. He wants to have some get up and go, but doesn't want to go radical with it and I don't have a lot of experience with the 225. You guys know what we could do to this thing on the cheap for some extra ponies? It's kind of the classes winter project :mrgreen:

you sure its a 225 & not a 170 ? A fresh engine would be good. :unsure: Working on the Q-jet would be a must? Adjust the Air valve/flaps, so the back of the carb. doesn't open too fast(and cause a bog). Prob. needs the primary needles adjusted, to fatten up the mixture for the Headers? :unsure: A few good forums out there for the Mopar slant six. :nod:

I think he'll be looking for Mopar specific forums later. It's definitely a 225, via code at least. His dad use to rebuild carbs, so he's going to have him do that. Later he wants to convert the front brakes to disk and swap in a different rear end and has thought about a turbo, but right now he just wants to get it road worthy and insured, but wants to squeeze some juice out of the N/A Mopar sixer. Mic'ing and honing cylinders and internals and new gaskets are in the plans.

Anyone know of a rocker swap that can be done on the 225 similar to the cheb rocker swap on the Ford 300 sixers? I've done I t on my 300 and when it wasn't running in limp mode it made a good bit of difference.

For rockers, there is only application specific ones available for the Slant. They use a rocker shaft setup, so nothing else interchanges, but roller rockers have been made for them before. The Slant cylinder head responds well to larger valves and milling to raise compression. Most heads can be cut .100" with no problem. One thing that really hurts them is their pistons are down in the cylinders over an 1/8", so unless you go in and fix that as well, your limited as to what you do really helping it out overall. Oregon Cams makes a lot of good grinds for the Slant, and the Slant guys use them a lot and are very happy with them.

There was a guy selling a 65 Cuda with a slant and 4 speed. Car was a driver in fair shape for $1700.
I just missed it my a few hours. Damn it.

Central Florida car, we have a lot of nice ones down here.

Back