Elect. Ign. on 1950 IHC

BIG 6 farmer

Been hauling hay on my 1950 IHC L 162 flat bed ( 2 ton?) (y) A while back I put new plugs & points. I wired up an old Hurst/Airheart Ign. Module made for point type ign. Got a box of them all new, 40? years old... Truck starts and runs so good. :nod: Other day, I put on a used Ford TFI Coil off a 88 Turbo Coupe... Noticed instantly an increase in power, mostly when taking off. (y) Truck was converted to 12 volt before I got it :unsure: Im sure a GM HEI Module would work just as well as the Hurst unit ? This is a great way to get a cheap, easy upgrade. On an old Rig where conversions don't exist...

You just upgraded the coil to a TFI coil, and it's working as it should. I doubt that the HEI system would make anything any easier than it already is as it's currently working fairly perfect is it not?

Yes, I wired the Hurst Module up to the points 3 months ago. wasn't too sure about the old coil, so I just put on the TFI Coil. Did notice a bit more power off the line. What I meant was, the Hurst/Airheart unit I used is the last one I have.(have 2 wired up on my 76 Honda Goldwings dual points) :nod: Next time? I will have to try a GM HEI Module. should perform the same? of course mounted to a heat sink... Workin on getting this old 61 Cadillac, have to try a HEI wired to points :unsure:

In the late 70s. I had a 61Ford Ranchero and a 60 Studebaker Lark pickup. I used an aftermarket unit called ARC which was the same thing. At that time was available from JC Whitney, is no longer available. Fast forward to 2005. Have been using Pertronix and Compufire units on vehicles which originally came with points with good results. Search "Gofastforless" for some ideas along the lines you are thinking of.

Fred

Yes, been on the gofastforless site... A lot of very good info. there :nod: Mix and match Ign. systems from anything. Those guys really into it !

i've also used a built-from-a-kit electronic ignition from Velleman on motorcycle projects. It uses the points to switch rather than using a magnetic pickup, which would require other modifications.

i'm looking at hacking either HEI or DS2 parts (trigger wheel and pickup) to mount inside the stock points dist. on my mercruiser 153 chevy boat engine. project is a little ways out right now, until i finish the truck.

Back