Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

underhood cleaning tips

Moderator: Mod Squad

bmbm40

underhood cleaning tips

Post #1 by bmbm40 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 am

I have a 2001 Cherokee and want to clean under hood and engine bay area mostly inner fenders and firewall area ,the painted surfaces. Thinking about covering the fuse/relay housing and what looks like the ignition control module and coil rail with plastic. Then a light solution of dishwasher detergent in a spray bottle to spray on then rinse with warm water. Have any suggestions? Thanks.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

Asa
Location: Tampa, Tallahassee, Hangin out in some Florida woods somewhere

Re: underhood cleaning tips

Post #2 by Asa » Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:39 pm

Mix in a little ammonia in the soapy water if what you're using doesn't already have it. The ammonia will help break down the grease and oil.

I usually clean with the engine hot, and let everything sit and soak for 5 minutes. You may have to reapply the fluid on some of the warmer areas of the engine if you let it soak.
Right and Wrong are just words, what matters is what you do

Susie - a work in progress
Clyde - ya mule!

bmbm40

Post #3 by bmbm40 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:33 pm

I never knew that about ammonia but I will give it a try.
66 Bronco-1970 250, NV3550, DSII, 4 turn ps, uncut, 1" bl, 2.5" sl, front disc, twin stick D 20, 30 x 9.50
NEXT- direct mount 1.08 on D8 head, power brakes, rear limited slip, 3G, electric fan, electric upgrades, custom curved DSII, header, 31" tires

New guy? Get the Falcon Performance Handbook and Ford six high performance parts from https://vintageinlines.com

JAGGUY

Post #4 by JAGGUY » Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:07 pm

I've had a few Cherokees and never had any issues washing down the engine.
Never used water full force in areas I shouldn't have but a gentle stream in those areas never caused a problem.

Usually the first cleaning required Gunk to get it properly clean but after that a little Simple Green was all it needed...

And yes, I started with a warm engine, spray cleaner of choice on, scrub with a paint brush if needed, let soak for a while, and spray it off with the hose.

I also have an air compressor and use that to dry off areas that hold water. Then let the warm engine dry off the rest.

Haven't had any problems doing that ever...