underhood cleaning tips

bmbm40

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
I have a 2001 Cherokee and want to clean under hood and engine bay area mostly inner fenders and firewall area ,the painted surfaces. Thinking about covering the fuse/relay housing and what looks like the ignition control module and coil rail with plastic. Then a light solution of dishwasher detergent in a spray bottle to spray on then rinse with warm water. Have any suggestions? Thanks.

Mix in a little ammonia in the soapy water if what you're using doesn't already have it. The ammonia will help break down the grease and oil.

I usually clean with the engine hot, and let everything sit and soak for 5 minutes. You may have to reapply the fluid on some of the warmer areas of the engine if you let it soak.

I never knew that about ammonia but I will give it a try.

I've had a few Cherokees and never had any issues washing down the engine.
Never used water full force in areas I shouldn't have but a gentle stream in those areas never caused a problem.

Usually the first cleaning required Gunk to get it properly clean but after that a little Simple Green was all it needed...

And yes, I started with a warm engine, spray cleaner of choice on, scrub with a paint brush if needed, let soak for a while, and spray it off with the hose.

I also have an air compressor and use that to dry off areas that hold water. Then let the warm engine dry off the rest.

Haven't had any problems doing that ever...

Back