water pump questions

bmbm40

1K+
VIP
Supporter 2021
Supporter 2022
Supporter 2023
Back again.
The water pump on the cherokee is leaking around the lower radiator hose junction after the vehicle has been shut off. Assuming it is the weep hole on the pump. Other conditions seem ok it runs right around 210 usually except this past winter on the freeway probably running around 1980-190 guessing as the gauge is marked for 210 but nothing else I believe. The heater did not work this winter- I just bought it late last summer. I replaced the cap when I noticed it starting to leak. Thinking about getting a new Murray water pump at Oreilly.
Am I missing anything?

Verify if it is actually the weep hole before you replace it. Replaced mine on the truck a couple years back, the finish was too smooth and it didn't seal properly, had to rough it up around the neck to get it to seal.

Doubt that's the issue, but till you verify it is the weep hole, it might just need to be tightened.

If you can't see the hole directly, Stick your phone down there (engine off of course and get a pic)

This was the only way I could see a leak on my 01 WJ Jeep. It wasen't leaking badly enough to drip on the ground yet.

I think water pump quality(OEM and aftermarket) has went to crap in the last 15 years for all companys.

Of my Jeeps the 99 TJ (a 4.0L six) has 164K it still has its stock pump
The 01 WJ (4.0L) I owned ate a pump when 6 years old and 70K
The 06 LJ (4.0L) I have now ate a pump 6 years old and it has 62K on it.

My Father's 08 Ranger is on it 3rd (Ford brand) water pump in 2 months (All 3 Ford pumps installed by the dealer)

80broncoman":2wcr3y84 said:
I think water pump quality(OEM and aftermarket) has went to crap in the last 15 years for all companys.
For what it's worth, Pepboys only stocks new Bosch waterpumps, no rebuilt units. Both the name and the fact that they are new make me feel better about them. They price match as well.

:banghead: Another little hint.Make sure that the HOSE does`nt have a pin hole close by the clamp.
Ask me how I know about THAT :banghead: :banghead: .Hehehe.That hole was in just the right place to squirt on the underside of the WP.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Back