1984 Ford 2.3L powered Bronco II

Body mounts are new. Getting the old body mount sleeves apart took the better part of a weekend.

Steering shaft had to be lengthened 1.5".

The body lift had an expected benefit. The header for a car application I had hanging on the shop wall now clears the evaporator plenum. Installed it and welded up some 2.5" pipe.

Going to work on making it all the same color now.

4 - 6 inch BL?
What sz tire (all 3 'aspects') now?

Didn't even C a fender change in all this. U said trim...

did U roll the edge or sompin? Hard 4 me ta C any but the frnt of the frnt...
nice.

I intended to roll the edge, but it looks good enough I may not.

Body lift with the 2" square tubing is 2", tires are 31x10.50-15.

Also removed the carpet (had to to access the body mount bolts), and although I intend to replace the carpet at some point (I'm not fond of red interiors), decided to give it a scrub.

And, picked up a 5 speed (TK5). It will be a while before it gets installed, I'll need 4.56 or 4.88 gears to make it work. If I'm buying gears, I'd rather get them for an 8.8 and Dana 35. Driveshafts will need altering.

what's the closest 8.8 inch 4 the swap? Will it need 2B shortened ?

"...Body lift with the 2"..."
WoW, the pic all ways throw me off. Looked like
4 inches.

Explorers have 31 spline axles, but need perches welded on top of the axle tubes. About 1.5" wider.

Later ones have disc brakes in the rear, desirable in the event the C clip 'hat' breaks off for axle retention.

Keeping my eyes open, may score one from a 4.10-equipped Explorer if I'm diligent...

So an Expl will B 3 inches too wide total? What a surprise (need 94 inches in the end).

@ MechRick,
You do some truly amazing work, and your documentation is definitely first class. Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your project with us (y) :nod:
Joe

Much to catch up on. Axles, paint, and forced induction.

Rear axle is an Explorer Sport Trac 8.8 rear (31 spline) and front axle is Explorer Dana 35 TTB.

Ratios are 3.73:1. Needs to be ~4.88-5.13:1 to make 5th gear useable. I'm waiting for the turbo installation to chose ratios.

I'm hoping the disc brakes will hold the axles in in the event I break an axle 'C' clip hat.

bigger components for a turbo I assume.
What gear will the axels have? Will the application change to total street? Add
more off rd? Tow? Haul? Any change?
If turbo which size...

I decided on two-tone Rustoleum/bedliner. The Rustoleum will make scratch repair a cinch, and the bedliner on the sides helps prevent it.

The bedliner is Brick Red Durabak and I highly recommend it. Rolls on with a 4" roller.

free upload imge

WoW, nu car !
Inside AND out

I think I've mentioned before that I'm not thrilled with the power output of the 4 cylinder in this application (3600 lbs with me in it). I'm getting 19 mpg in mixed driving. Straight highway it gets low 20's. It's not bad, but I'm pretty sure a 5.0L M5OD would not be far off of those numbers.

I bought a 5.0L off C/L, and went to the boneyard searching for a small block 4x4 M5OD. What I walked out with is this: (Chad, you must be a psychic...)

image uploader

"...you must be a psychic..."
no, no course not. Just followin ur lead~

I'm just wonderin what size turbo
and chunk gear...now, which transmis.
The BII came w/a 2.8L (mine w/a 170cc altho i6 v v6 same displacements in both)

BTW: I want that paint scheme on mine now..
(I wuz thinkin that silver w/florescent lime or green or whatever the hwy dept guys shirts are).
ALSO BTW I C frame stiffiners in ur future (plus...um...er...ahhh, better stop here). :chill:

The biggest problem is the massive jump from first gear to second gear in the Toyo-Kogyo 5 speed (3.96 to 2.08).

The 2.3L doesn't make decent torque until 2500 RPM. Because of that, you have to rev the engine to 4000 RPM when taking off in 1st gear, or the shift to second bogs horribly.

Gears will help, but what it really needs is a low RPM torque boost. The turbo should fix that. If not, and if I don't get the expected MPG boost with the turbo, the 5.0L is waiting patiently.

I rebuilt the turbo. It took two tries at getting the correct bushings. The housing was machined oversize during a past rebuild.

-It's a generic Garrett T3 off a Turbo Coupe.

The 2" body lift helps, but the stock Turbo Coupe exhaust manifold places the turbo where the evaporator housing is.

I will have to scratch build an exhaust manifold.

Mocking up the turbo with brace in a suitable location:

Manifold will be mild steel to start with. Yes, I know it may crack. This is proof of concept, if I'm happy with the result, stainless/schedule pipe is in the future.

Hi MechRick, it's great to see the Bronco II getting some more upgrades been following it from the start of your build. :nod: (y)

Back