Mercruiser 170 / 470 IO engine

1966Mustang

ALL THE THINGS
Staff member
Subscriber
Hey All,

So, I'm looking at boats, and I've come across a 1986 Wellcraft V20 with a Mercruiser 170. Evidently, it is 1/2 of a 460, with some mongrel block, Ford internals, and a 460 head. I've read a bit about them here and there, but they were some old threads and people seem to have mixed emotions about them.

Of course our forum has some of the greatest and creative minds on engine subjects and aren't easily run off by oddball engines.

So, what I'm asking - what are y'alls experience with this particular inline 4? I think it'd be a stout and reliable bugger good torque and not working a whole lot.

Here's a pic of the particular engine:

And the ad for the boat.
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/5682560798.html

I'm planning on taking a look at it tomorrow afternoon. If there's anything engine wise I should definitely check, let me know.

Thanks,

1966Mustang

Attachments

• 00V0V_7HSIS3nBzzp_600x450.jpg
    00V0V_7HSIS3nBzzp_600x450.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 141
We had a motor like that in a smaller fiberglass Vanguard.
Stout and reliable are the words. I think it's basically a 2.3l.
But the boat looks big and heavy so it might be a bit of a dog @ around 120hp.
I wouldn't buy a fiberglass boat. Aluminum all the way. And an outboard.
Are you on salt water or fresh?

Definitely not a 2.3 base. It's 3.7 liters. Nifty aluminum block, lame 460 smog head. Alternator built in to water pump pulley or some such nonsense, a common failure. HAMB has a mega-thread on them, as hotrod powerplant.
170hp isn't a lot, but if you're not in a big hurry, should be fine. Aluminum block, so hopefully it's got a sealed cooling system.

First thing is find a 4bbl intake then a conversion kit for the alternator issues. I have one I put a modified D3 head on to lower compression was to be used on a friends rat rod. 225 cu in can be made into a very powerful engine.

I got the boat a couple weeks ago and I am going through the engine and systems now. So far, so good... bought a good used used exhaust manifold and a new exhaust elbow. There is a place called 'Budget Boats' down the road and lemme tell ya... It. Is. Amazing. I think they have just about anything you could ever need. It's like a pick-n-pull for boats. I've been there a couple times digging around.

Anyway - I might just have to run with what I got for now and save those for winter. I promised SWMBO I wouldn't get 'too carried away'. I was recently texted that there were some 'unauthorized purchases' - I swear I mentioned them... 2 weeks. that's my deadline to have it in the water.

Small boat... small problems. Not beyond my 'expectations'... yet. :beer:

Through extensive sea-trials on about every sunday afternoon... I've learned quite a bit about this 170/470 mercruiser. Pushes 41 MPH and I looking forward to some 55+ degree weekend to see if I've got the final bugs worked out - Of course they always run great on the muffs! Last week's issue to cure was that the wire from the points to the coil was chaffed where the wire passes through the dizzy housing causing loss of spark... :banghead:

I'll be staying close to shore in the protected water. If all goes well, it's getting a pertronix and a cutesy boat name. If it doesn't go well - it's being declared cursed and getting an ad on CL - back to whence it came... Or I'll do the world a favor and sawzall it into a dumpster.

Although, the Mustang is looking rather miserable without her rear haunches welded on. Working on that will be a healthy distraction.

Back