VW transaxle fluid capacity

A

Anonymous

Do any of you former VW guys who posted in my last thread have info on how much fluid the auto trans in my '92 golf should hold? My haynes manual says only 3.2 quarts- this does not sound like enough! It mentions nothing about draining the torque converter when changing fluid, so I have a feeling that the capacity given does not include the converter. I was considering ordering trans fluid online/mail order and don't know how much I really need. Thanks!

S-man

Is the final drive isolated from the tranny? My instinct says so; it is on Camrys of similar age. That may be the answer to your ponderance...

Final drive uses GL5 90W oil. It better not mix with the ATF! Convertor should take about 4-5 qts. by itself. Put 90W in the final drive until it starts to drip out of the fill hole; put the plug back in.

Probably if trans & convertor are both truly empty, you could start with 4 quarts of ATF, let it idle and then add a quart at a time until the dipstick registers at the low end of 'OK' range. Then shift back & forth through all gears, and drive it around the block. Re-check fluid level & top off if needed.

J.R.

Addo,

I'm not draining the final drive- just the trans and converter. Yes, trans and diff use separate fluid in this car. 8 quarts ATF total sound's about right. it say's only 3.2 in the manual - yeah, right! Thanks!

S-man

Back