Click Here -> Please Consider Making a PayPal Contribution to the FordSix Forum!
2019 Contributors:
NJwpod, 1strodeo, mightynorseman, maxtrux, 6d7coupe, broncr, Phase3, 68Flareside240, bmbm40,
mustang6, WorldChampGramp, justintendo, BigBlue94, ags290, motorsickle1130, Rooster, ousooner919, ethanperry
rzcrisis, DoctorC, jamyers, Motorboy, fastpat, Silverback280, chad

<<< New Site Update >>>

build'n an ugly one!!

Moderator: Mod Squad

buickroadster

build'n an ugly one!!

Post #1 by buickroadster » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:01 pm

:shock: talking to the wife the other week ,we decided to start a new project.the pt cruiser(her car)is now 3 years old ,and in abuot 2 yrs we'll need a replacement,so we decided not to get another new car, but to build a 50's style project.we wanted to do something really ugly(as the old saying goes---anybody can make a good looking car look better,but it takes real talent to make an ugly car look good!!)we bought a 1951 standard vanguard(look it up on the net)YUK!!looks like a squashed down 40's something dodge.powering it with a 265 hemi inline(same as my '23 buick but with the hp down to around 250--wifes car remember)already have a gm(torana)front susp welded in place.toque-flite auto, and volvo disc brake rear will complete the package.will be fuelled by lp gas(propane)and be as low as i can get it.weight will be around 2700-2800lb(1300-1400kg)so with 250hp it will still perform well(mid 14 sec 1/4's??)anyway i'll take some snaps and post them on the net as the build progresses.ps-- thw wife wants it sprayed in leopard print paint(that should be interesting!!) :roll:

addo
VIP Member

Post #2 by addo » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:25 pm

Hey Steve! Got it at your place yet? I'll pop over and run riot with the dig camera if you like... I can remember seeing these - utes, mind you - back in NZ in the '80s.

Adam.

buickroadster

Post #3 by buickroadster » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:09 pm

:) yep,and already started working on it!!front end is in and dummy motor is mounted.lot's to do yet though!! :D

addo
VIP Member

Post #4 by addo » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:00 pm

Cool. As of next week, I'll be spending a fair bit of time down the the other end of Toongabbie Rd - only a mile away. One of my projects is starting to come together (the cost of a new Corolla later...)

Adam.

Agent Double O Six.

Post #5 by Agent Double O Six. » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:58 pm

Way to go! Everybody loves odd-ball build ups......'specially me! :) .As for the Misses P/T Cruiser getting on in age..........that's just another project(lowered suspension,wheels,new paint(?)Turbo/Blower :twisted: :twisted: )down the road...........Hmmnn...seems you got yer hands full for the next couple of years there buddy :D :D !!!! Good Luck with your project :D :D OO6.

Kinky6
VIP Member

Post #6 by Kinky6 » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:55 am

A Vanguard!? Well, it won't be completely ugly if you leave the funky little chrome art-deco streamline-modern kangaroo hood ornament on it, now will it?

Besides, if its wearing leopard print paint, you can only be accused of being a herd-follower in a preditory sense. :wink:

Seriously, it sounds like a cool project.

Later, Kinky6. 8)
'66 Mustang Fastback
'39 Chevy 2-Door

J.R.

Post #7 by J.R. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 1:38 am

Leopard spots? Will it have the urge to chase after one of these trucks? LOL

http://www.newcotech.com/fcowner/index.html

J.R.

buickroadster

Post #8 by buickroadster » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:09 am

finaly got a few snaps of the vanguard.hemi block and 904 is fitted.more to come. http://members.optusnet.com.au/~c_s_rod ... llery.html hope the link works

addo
VIP Member

Post #9 by addo » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:20 am

Couldn't find any pics of the Vanguard, but plenty of the Buick. We need alloy head shots to show the 300 guys.

buickroadster

Post #10 by buickroadster » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:24 am

the vanguard shots should apear in a couple of days,i'll take some close ups of the alloy head and post them.in the meantime,go to http://www.chiheads.com/main.html which is the site for cyl head inovations ,the maker of the heads. steve

mepr

Post #11 by mepr » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:25 am

good luck :wink:
Nah as one of my buddies always says, old and ugly is good, you never have to worry about car theft!