Ford 223 six in my 1956 f 100 panel

Hello everyone. I’m happy to talk to everyone.

The engine in my truck had a problem from being overheated, thermostat failure at an in opportune time. Long story. Needless to say, the engine is out and being disassembled for the machine shop. My machinist said he is behind three to four months. I plan on assembling the engine myself. I’m confident that I can put it together.

My issue is, in order to drive the truck, I found a 223 engine out of a 1958-59 fairlaine for sale fairly cheap. It was a running engine. I wanted to set it in the truck and us it until the old engine is rebuilt. I have pulled the dampener and stamped metal chain cover off the newer engine and put the cast iron cover from the 1956 engine on the newer engine. Easy swap. New gaskets, new seal and on it went.
The dampener off the newer engine won’t seat on the crankshaft snout. If the dampener is torqued in place, it will rub against the old cover, it appears. I have compared the thickness of the sheet metal cover to the cast iron cover from the old engine and they appear to be the same.

Any advice, criticism or berating is welcome.

Thanks

Welcome to the Ford Six site Olddog21, the 223 car engines block and most internal parts are the same as the truck 223 engines but they use all different external parts then those used on the truck engines. The best plan is to change out all the external dress parts over from the truck short block to the car block i.e. The oil pan and pickup tube, front cover, crankshaft oil slinger, Dampner, water pump pulley, accessory's & brackets, etc. Best of luck (y) :nod: .

Excellent glad to hear back from you on your progress. :nod:

Back