In Line 6 Valve Adjustment

A

Anonymous

I need to adjust the valve setting on my 1959 in-line 6 and I was told the quickest way is with the valve cover removed and all of the connectinf rod nuts backed off, start the engine and adjust the connecting rod nuts on each valve until the engine runs smooth.
Will this really work ? and how much of a mess will this make in the garage?

Help

That might make a mess and won't get you the lash that you need.

First thing I usually do is change the oil. That way it should be a little cleaner! 8)

Bring the engine up to operating temp and remove the valve cover. Remove all the spark plugs to make turning the engine easier. Remove the distributor cap. Turn the engine to TDC on the #1 compression stroke. Start with #1. The distributor rotor will be pointed at the #1 terminal. Both rockers should be a little loose if you have a mechanical cam.

Using a feeler gauge, check the clearance between the valve stem and the rocker. If it exceeds the spec for your engine tighten it until the feeler gauge just has a bit of resistance as it slides. Do the same with the exhaust. Then proceed to #5, rotating the engine until the distributor rotor is pointed at the #5 terminal. Do this in turn 1-5-3-6-2-4 on all cylinders.

When you have #6 completed, go back and check them all again. Really.

Most stock Ford engines which have a mechanical cam require .014"-.016" valve lash, but that varies with engine. Check. Too little lash will burn a valve. Hydraulic cams, OTOH, are tightened to zero lash plus 1/2-3/4 turn to load the lifter. Check your specs.

Back