mods on my stock inline six

A

Anonymous

im abou to put a 4bbl carb and intake. and headers with dual exhaust. and a new ignition system. and new fual pump. i want to get as much hp out of this as i can. has ne one done this in here? do yall no ne websites i can go to. any ideals of what type of headers carb intake fual pumps ignitoin systems? is there any thing elese to give me more hp? i allready no about the cam. and after i do all of this mods will i be ABLE to tell alot of difference in the take off? thanx for your help

Welcome.

The trick is to try and home in on what speed range you drive in most of the time. If its kick off the line you want, then you need to stick with a fairly small carb like a 500 2-bbl Holley or a modified 390 or 465 4-bbl, and don't go much over 270 degrees on that cam. Any thing larger will cause bogging unless you have done gearing changes.

Give me the weight, tire size, trans type (manual, auto, is it over drive?) and I can tell you what you need to get off line grunt.

Performance is a trade off. You trade fuel economy for power, or have to lower the diff ratio to suit the loss of low end power you always get when you hop up an engine with big cam and carb.

I've had more fun on the street in a fairly stock 250 with a 500 Holley than in my mates 350 63 Chevy simply because his car couldn't cruise around town. Of the mark, my Falcon was quicker for the first 3 or 4 car lengths.

Hope this helps.

Back