NEW GUY NEEDS HELP!!!!

A

Anonymous

hey!!! im finally getting my this '56 223 into my model a, and im running into a few problems. I cant find a book/manual for the life of me, so thats why ive come to you...

1) the extra taps off the water pump &thermostat housing: heater core lines? can i just plug em?
2) where the heck is my oil pressure fitting and my water temp fitting? Can i run newer sensors easily?
3)The HUGE black hose coming off the side of the block by #6. There was a plunger installed inline. What is it, what does it do, DO I NEED it?

Please help me!!! IM almost done and i am pulling my hair out.
THANKS!!
Shaun
1930 Model a pickup w/ 1956 f-100 driveline

Not all that sure about questions 1 & 2, but I'm pretty sure I know #3. Is this tube on the left (drive's side) of the block & does it just go strait down & then just end somewere near the bottom of the oil pan? If so, then this should be the road draft tube, an early sorta PCV system. You need some sorta crankcase ventilation on any engine, so you can either keep the tube or rig some sorta PCV system. PCV would be my choice, the road draft tube isn't really all that efficent (or environmental friendly for that matter).
Edwin

yeah, i kinda of figured it was a crankcase ventilation hose, but ive seen photos of (vacuum) lines coming from that hose to the carb.
thanks for the input.
as for the first two questions, where do i find my oil pressure and water temp fittings?
and im just gonna plug the extra lines coming off my water pump. (no need for a heater in a roadster)

thanks.

If you've seen vaccum hoses going from the road draft port to the carb, then its possible that was an early PCV (unlikely though) or someone had simply added PCV to the motor (more likely). You could probably do the same.
I had a look at what pictures I have on hand & I belive that you'll find both the oil pressure & water temp ports on the right (passenger) side. The oil pressure port should be between the #5 & 6 cylinders, just below the lifter cover & right above the starter. The water temp port is just behind the #6 on the head. I don't know what thread sizes these would be on your motor, but I'd say that they are most likely are a standard pipe thread. Get whatever sorta senders you need & if the threads don't match get some adapters at a local hardware store (get brass fitting if you can). Hope this helps.
Edwin

CHECK OUT PARTS AT MID FIFTY FORD.. THE REPAIR MANUAL FOR THE 53 F-100 HAS A SECTION FOR THE 1954 223. iT'S WAHT I USE FOR A BIBLE WHEN WORKING ON MY 223. RUNS ABOUT 30 BUCKS I BELIEVE.
DEFINATELY WORTH IT

Back