Inline 6 identification

A

Anonymous

I just purchased a used WoodChuck Chipper with a Ford inline 6 Cylinder with the block casting of EBP-6015-L on the left side, drivers side, of the engine. I am told it is a 223 but WoodChuck didn't start making chippers until 1969. Any help would be appreciated. Earl

Intake and Exhaust are on left, Drivers side. Can't tell you about the ports until I can get home and look at it again. Thanks for the help, Earl

Thats an oddity that is difficult to explain. Ports on the left would be consistant with the 223. However Ford quit using those engines in the passenger cars & trucks in 1964. For some one to be using that engine 5 years later in a new piece of equipment is a strange deal. Perhaps someone wore out the original engine and re-engined with a 223.

Photo's might be helpful.

How is the valve cover held on? Where are the motor mounts? Where is the distributor?

The only Ford six motors I am aware of that had the manifolds on the driver's side is the 215 - 223 - 262 series. All others, including flathead, Falcon, and 240 - 300 have the manifolds on the passenger side.

This has some good information: http://www.geocities.com/edwins63/I6ID.html

We really need a FAQ on how to identify vintage Ford six cylinders. I can volunteer accurate information on 226 and 254 flatheads and 215 overheads (and a little on the later stuff).

The valve cover is held on by two bolts. It appears the orginal valve cover was painted a light blue color. There are 3 freeze plugs on the left side below the manifold. The distributor is on the front right side a little bit forward of a spin on oil filter. The fuel pump is located on the center right side. The firing order is 153624. A casting of 0B29 is located in front of the block casting of EBP-6015-L. The engine has a single barell holly carb. Don't know about the motor mounts. It appears to be a 262 from the web site you recommended but the year doesn't match up with the manf date of the chipper. I have some great photos that would help but I can't add them to this message. If you think you can help with an ID send me an email at switzerearl@hotmail.com and I will send the photos to you. Thanks so much. I need to get this thing running and take it to Gulfport MS to help my parents out. Thanks again.

Every thing you describe there is a 223 series engine. got 2!

heres a pic: its a 223ci

3544117rLEzzwCyuZ_ph.jpg

It is a 223. Yours looks a whole lot better. Don't ask me to explain how it ended up in a piece of equip manf in 1969. Thanks for everybodies help. Earl

This is interesting. From what I can find, the 223/262s were made for industrial purposes till about '67, perhaps till '69? Seems kinda strange that ford would continue making them that late, especially with the 240/300 in full production. I suppose about the only thing to do would be to try to find some sorta ID plate on the chipper & see if there's some sorta manufacturing date on it. Someone may have had to replace the engine & just used what they had on hand. Would be cool to see a pic.
Edwin

Back