New Carb & Distributor

A

Anonymous

Greetings to All,
I would like to change out the Holley carb that I have. I see that the Weber 38 seems to be the carb of choice. I also see that the current distributor may not work correctly. So I'm lookin for a little feedback on what works and what doesn't. I was going to ditch the points in favor of the Pertronix Igniter-II.

Howdy MrBlue:

You might want to consider switching your Holley 1904 for an Autolite 1101 from a 1963 or 1964 full size Ford car with a 223 engine. This carb is rated at 215 cfm. The Holley is rated at 170 cfm. You'd notice the difference.

The 1101 will also have a Spark Control Valve to be compatible with your stock distributor. Linkage will be very similiar too.

Just a thought.

Adios, David

CZLN6, I realize I'm pulling this one out of the grave at 12 years old (!), but since you made reference to the 1101 in this post I thought you might have an answer for me about the 1101 on 223s.

I have seen several references across the internet to the 1101 being used on the 223 in 63 and 64. Other material has described the 1101 as having a 1-11/16" throttle bore and a 1.29" Venturi, giving the 215 cfm you have mentioned here. However, I have found no reference, in part manuals or otherwise, to indicate that any version of the 223 intake had the wide bolt spacing and 1.75" bore needed to accommodate the 1101. Are you certain it was not an 1100 used on the 223? Or, was there a version of the 1101 with a smaller carb base/throttle bore?

Thanks to any who can clear this up for me.

Back