223 intake/exhaust gaskets?

BradW

I'm about done with my engine rebuild and am ready to put the manifolds on but have a couple questions about the gaskets or lack of. My engine is a 1961 vintage (going into a 55 ford) it had steel rings and thin steel gaskets on the intake only none on the exhaust, the gasket kit came with a fiber/steel gasket but says no gaskets are used on 3 bolt manifolds. I think I have a 3 bold manifld (3 bolts holding the intake and exhaust together). So should I just re-use the steel rings? or the whole gasket? any sealer to be used? anything to whatch for? Any help would sure be appreciated. Thank you
Brad

When I reinstalled the manifolds onto the 215 in my 53 sedan I installed the metal rings (glands I think they are called) and used a gasket between the manifolds and the head. I put Copper-Coat gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. I have had no problems with the manifolds or gasket since then.

I've got a 63, (by the casting #) 223. Have to look, but I think it had 2 bolts holding the intake to the exhaust. It has the rings, and one gasket that is for both the intake and exhaust. I'll check tomorrow, and post if it has 3.Did you check your exhaust manifold for cracks, very common right in the center, between the 2 sets of siamesed cylinders.Also check out the old posts, I seem to recall someone had a problem had a problem with the valve in the heat riser getting stuck? I'll see if I can find the old post, as it was a cautionary tale worth repeating. Jim

Yup, found it; read "cracked my head", on this forum. Things to check before you bolt up your manifold. Jim

My heat riser valve was stuck but I got it free'd up without much trouble, I bead blasted and pinted the manifolds with Bill Hirsh High temp Manifold paint looks pretty good for now. No cracks on anything just wondered about the gasket setup. Thanks again
Brad

Back