Where can i buy transmission parts?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Im Mark from the Netherlands and I need some parts for my gearbox. I've got a 1960 Ford Fairlane with a 223cu inline six. I'm looking for new bearings and seals and a gasket set. Here in Holland you can't buy these things. Im not sure what kind of transmission I have. But it's a manually 3 speed, first gear not synchronised. The synchro rings have 30 teeth. Number of teeth on the Cluster gear : 33 22 19 16
The reverse gear has 19 teeth.

The main bearings are 2.8346" X 1,378" and 0.6693"width.
Of course i've used google, but i'm still not sure whitch type and brand transmission i have. I think it's a BorgWarner T 86E.

These are the casting nubers i've found:

Numbers on the gearcase:

AF-7006-D 24

9L9

OF21:

Numbers on the tail of the gearbox:

6K15
WAR 7851A

Numbers on the bell housing:

5 9L.25

COAA-6394-A

Does anybody know what gearbox i have and where to buy parts?

Please help me out!

Mark

I sounds to me like you have a T-86.

Here is a couple pictures of a couple T-86 transmissions, with overdrive, to compare with:
castpartnumber56overdrivetrans.jpg

topview56transand58trans.jpg

The six bolt top is a common to all T-86 transmissions I have seen.

I have had good luck making my own gaskets out of thin gasket material and getting ball bearings from the number on the old bearings. I know a couple transmission shops in San Antonio Texas that could talk you through finding any parts you need, but that would be a very long distance call.

Try http://www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerID.html. They have a 1-800 # on their website, don't know if thats international toll-free or not, or you could try e-mailing them. Could also try e-bay, once your fairly sure which tranny you have. I've seen gaskets, rebuild sets, etc. for my truck tranny of the same era. (T-98) I seem to recall, on another forum, someone saying that bearings are bearings. Europe, asia, Africa, it don't matter. You can get any bearing, any where. Just need the # off it. Good luck, JIM

It does not look the same. Mine has a 9 bolt side cover with 2 shifter arms. And i don't have a overdrive gearbox. I'll take some pictures and post them here.

Divco man":w108atii said:
Try http://www.mackstrans.com/BorgWarnerID.html. They have a 1-800 # on their website, don't know if thats international toll-free or not, or you could try e-mailing them. Could also try e-bay, once your fairly sure which tranny you have. I've seen gaskets, rebuild sets, etc. for my truck tranny of the same era. (T-98) I seem to recall, on another forum, someone saying that bearings are bearings. Europe, asia, Africa, it don't matter. You can get any bearing, any where. Just need the # off it. Good luck, JIM

I've looked there. But what means "top loading"?

fairlane666":1fdt5idx said:
I've looked there. But what means "top loading"?

Top loading refers to the location you install the gears from. The T86 has the inspection / gear installation area on the top of the transmission. T85, T89, T10, etc have the gear installation plate on the side of the transmission, i.e. a "side loader". It sounds like your transmission is a side loader. Pictures are probably going to be necessary.

fairlane666":1fdt5idx said:
Numbers on the tail of the gearbox:

6K15
WAR 7851A

Are you sure the 7851A isn't instead T85 1A? It is beginning to sound like you have a T85.

Well, finally i've got some pictures.

Foto-JPSUXTUV.jpg

Foto-TRCLFW7Y.jpg

Foto-EFJX3I8R.jpg

Foto-YEKVUBZK.jpg

4th picture is the drive shaft. The older gearboxes (till 1958 i've heard) have bigger splines.

Does someone know which type of gearbox this is?

That is definitely not a T85 or a T86.

That side plate looks just like the side plate that was on my '50 passenger car transmission. The boss cast onto the corner of the side plate was used to hinge part of the clutch mechanism. The rest of the transmission looks a lot like the standard three speed I took out of my '53, except the fine spline input shaft. I bet you have a Ford made transmission that shares a lot of parts with the transmissions from the early Fifties.

I did some quick checking on E-bay and here is a link to a very similar looking transmission: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1952-195 ... .m20.l1116

You can get gaskets, bearing, etc. from places like C&G parts: http://www.cgfordparts.com/Early_Ford_Parts.htm

If you want to talk to a knowledgeable old Ford mechanic who runs a transmission repair business you can talk to Jim Perkins:
Jim's Trans
5108 W 21st St
Tulsa, OK 74107-2229
United States
918-584-0580
Mail order and open shop. Monday-Friday 9 am-6 pm. Rebuild or sell gears; also we buy gears. 1932-53 car/pickup. Our 27th year.

I would be very surprised if the bearing for the '53 transmission weren't the same as yours. I would try to take the part number for the '53 transmission bearings and find dimensions for them. Compare those dimensions with your bearings and I bet they are the same.

I've bought a parts CD from Ebay. It isnt here yet, but then i can find the right partnumbers.

Back