Just got 51 flathead

johnnyzoom

Howdy folks, I've gotten lots of help with my 64 Comet here, new to this section.

Just got a 226 flathead l6 with 3 speed transmission from a 51 Ford. PO upgraded to v8 and didn't want to throw out a good motor. It is very clean, and he says ran great, trans also. Looks recently painted and no oil leaking anywhere. Coolant was very clean. I picked it up to learn about these motors, and to hopefully one day throw into a period correct roller. It was running at 6v.

Just looking for any advice, insight, etc. that someone might be able to share with me. The owner also gave me an intake/exhaust manifold from same year truck, my understanding is that exhaust can be split from both for duals, and possibly same for intake for two carbs.

I know that this isn't exactly a powerhouse, but I'd like to do something with it. Is it worth the effort to hop up this 6 or just run as is? My limited knowledge of flatheads is that they don't disperse heat very well and are prone to cracking. I've already ordered a 51 shop manual in hopes of more info. Can't find much on this, is it considered an unpopular oddball motor?

Thanks for any info!

-- Johnny

Back