FOUND flat Ford 6 (H) with stud bolts and nuts

M6ride

to hold the head onto the block. This past week I was visiting a friend in sunny CA and he was showing me his vast collection of 226 and 254 L6 flathead engines.

One was a 226 (H), I believe, and it had studs sticking up through the head with nuts holding down the head.

First one I have ever seen. Any of you fine folks run across one of these before? If so do you remember what type of vehicle it was originally put into? .....year (s)?

Only interested in years 1948-53.... 254 was installed til 1953 in F6

TYIA

If you look at the following photo's of mainline331's two 254 (M) engine's and his 226 (H) engine, you will see that they all have the distributor on the drvr's side and the head is held down with HEAD BOLTS.

http://s639.photobucket.com/albums/uu11 ... =slideshow

The one 226 I saw had what looked like to be factory installed block studs (head).

Any other idea's?

My memory is that the early 226 motors, the G series built from 1941 to 1947, used head studs. I suspect that the head studs for the early engines work in the later engines.

Correct; another source sent me a private e-mail,

As to the studs on the 226, maybe it is an early H, and the studs used as a holdover from the G series (41-47), all of which apparently had studs. Ford was good about using up parts supplies when changing models.

Back