Help with 254 Flathead

greezykurt

First of all I am new to this forum. Thanks for all the great info that has been posted here already on flat head sixes. I recently purchased a 254 flathead for a future traditional hot rod project. The engine is in very good condition. The guy I brought it from stated that he thought it came out of a hay chopper. The engine has some sort of govenor on it that bolts to the front cover and meshes with the cam gear. It also has a Stromberg carb.
I've got it dissasembled except for the valve train and oil pump. The internals look very good. Is there a good resource for engine rebuild specs? i.e.- clearances, torque, etc. What parts are shared with the 226? I also am in need of an oil filter assembly as all I have is a cracked plate where it once was. My exhaust maniflod is cracked as well, this forum has been helpfull in showing that a manifold can be fabricated.

I have been to VanPelt's site and it doesn't cover the 254 specifically, although it has been helpfull with general info.

I also know that most engine parts are available from Kanter.

Thanks in advance for any info, advice.

Might check Egge, Green, and Joblot as other sources.

Sounds like your setup with that type Govenor is more for a constant speed application. You should be able to just make a cover plate to block off the hole where it was mounted and just run normal linkage to work the carb.

Fred

There are some threads that deal specifically with this information; try searching clicking on the advanced search option and using "254" or "M series", etc as your search parameter.

The best place to get specifications, in my opinion, is from a Ford shop manual. Get a reprint of the '49 to '51 truck shop manual and you get great information on both the 254 and 226 (which is great for interchangeability).

The front cover should interchange with all other M and H series engines. If you want to go really old school you could probably rig up a manual tachometer run from your old governor...

Hope this helps,
Fred (the other one)

Thanks, Fred. I was at the Hunnert Car Pile up yesterday and I didn't see one of these engines, so it would truly be unique!
Cheers,
Kurt

The 254 has 3.5" dia pistons, whereas the 226 has 3.3" dia pistons.

There are subtle other differences such as the Ex manifolds for 254 may be slightly larger, port-wise.

Physically they are the same externally.

The 1951-53 254 has E-valve stem caps to ? void/enhance ? valve stem rotation, where the 226 does not, from my experience.

Cams, crankshafts, valves, bearings (cam, rod and mains) and lifters are the same.

Rods are different; 254 rod won't work easily in 226; maybe though with some ingenuity by installing pistons in from the bottom.

Egge has parts for both.

Back