223 distributor options?

bigscooter

hi guys, i now have a 1962 1/2 ton unibody with a 223(i think). is there a later electronic distributor i can update it with, like i did on my '64 falcon(duraspark).
thanks!

I run a 62 F100 Unibody also. I still have the 223, and have installed a Pertronix I along with the matching coil. I installed this setup almost 6 years ago and it has been working flawlessly since then. By installing the Pertronix setup, I was able to keep the stock Holley carb and it's matching L-O-M distributor.

Fred

Four that I know of:

Pertronix - Already mentioned above. Search within this forum for the part number or contact Pertronix as I have not seen the part number mentioned by application in their catalog.

Duraspark - Search within this forum for details but a 300 c.i. Duraspark distributor can be made to fit. The housing where it enters the block is the same, I think it requires a different drive gear and the oil pump and pump drive shaft (larger) from a 1964 223.

MSD - A 5 or 6 Series MSD "box" can be added to your existing points ignition. It will reduce the current through the contacts to almost nothing and your points will last as long as the rubbing block does.

Standard - Standard Motor Products makes the LX809 "Optical Sensor Kit." I don't know much about it except that it's "pricey" at $199.79 on Rock Auto but just thought I'd mention it as an option.

I think any of the above would work fine. I, personally, will probably go with the MSD option as I've had better luck through the years with points ignitions than I have with electronic. The MSD box provides the hotter spark benefits of electronic ignition along with redundancy. That is, if the electronic portion fails, you can by-pass it very simply and still run on just the points to get home.

Hope that helps, all are good options. It just depends what you like the best for your truck.

Lou Manglass

Back