boy, did I screw up!

Divco man

My truck, a 65 Divco milk truck, has a Ford 223, w/ a T-98 'granny 4 speed.The speedometer cable was in pretty good shape, but a little rusty; not bad, just surface rust.
I have heard that soaking in vinegar is a great way to remove rust, and unlike miuriatic acid, won't eat the metal.
So, I coiled it up and saoked it for about 5 days.
Took the rust off, great! Unfortunately, the threaded caps at each end are made out of plastic, (I think), and dissolved in the vinegar!
The smaller one, that attaches to the speedometer, is totally gone. The larger one is still intact, but much thinner.Should have left the ends out of the vinegar, but who knew?
Anyone know of a source for the ends?Jim

"Once upon a time..."

We used to be able to buy a speedometer replacement cable kit, only the central cable without the housing and already had one end in place. IIRC, cut to fit with a chisel and crimp on the second end. One size fits all! I don't remember any part numbers or still have any around but the most likely source would be NAPA. Hope that helps.

Lou Manglass

At one time, most parts houses had a kit with coils of speedo cable, crimp on ends, the outside conduit, the ends for the conduit and the anvils to crimp them together at any length and end combinations the customer desired. You might be able to get just the cable ends replaced. I did used to get that at NAPA stores. Also some truck parts supply stores would have them as most trucks used to have a little transmission gearbox in the speedometer cable to fine tune their speedometer readings.

Thanks, all. After I posted, I called up a shop thats only a couple miles from my house. Dick's speed-o-tach.They said those caps I melted/dissolved are metal. Aluminum, pt metal, I don't know. Anyway they said there are 2 standard sizes, 5/8" and 7/8", they can sell me the caps, or put them on for me.Thanks again, and now I know before I use vinegar to de-rust I'll make sure its only steel I'm using it on! :banghead: Jim

Dude. Quit bangin' your head. You can't know everything. And now you know more. So on your next milk truck .....

Initially I freaked, thinking these caps were made of unobtanium. Turns out not, and not expensive.And, even on this milktruck, I now know that Vinegar is great for rust removel, just make sure I'm only using it on steel.
So, it was an inexpensive lesson. :D Jim

Back