1957 f100 t5 swap

buzzinhalfdozen

hello i am trying to round up all the needed parts for the t5 swap behind my 223 does anyone know i have been told that the t5 that came with a 4cylinder is different than one from a v6 or v8 that the ratio is lower and something about the input shaft is this true and if so will it work or would it be better to find one from a v6 or v8 i would like this to go as smooth as possible :thanks:

Should be about the same as mine, a 62 223, with a 3.70 rear. Contact John Mummert (www.Ford-y-Block.com). If you presently have a 4 spd, you can get an exchange bellhousing modified by him to accept a T5, if you now have a 3 spd, you can get an adapter plate that he makes to adapt a T5 to the 3spd bellhousing. Whichever you now have will dictate which way to go and which T5 series number you will have to find in order to have the proper input shaft. Go over to FordTruk.com and search for my posts, I have made several about my conversion.

Fred

thanks for the advice fred are you happy with the t5 behind your 223 i have a 3 speed on column now and want more of a overdrive i really enjoy my 223 runs like a top thanks again

I would think a T5 will be a sweet setup behind a 223, especially when compared to an early three-speed.

Yes, fully recommended. Along with Front Disk Brakes with a Dual MC and the T5 make these old pickups into a very good daily driver able to handle modern driving. I did mine about 6 years ago and am very well pleased. Slowed the engine down considerably, less noise, and slightly better gas mileage makes it a lot more pleasant to drive for any distance too. I have run mine crosscountry and plan to do so again. In John's "kit" is an adapter plate w/mounting bolts, a clutch disk & PP, a pilot Brg, and a TO Brg on a special collar to fit the older clutch fork and the input snout of the T5. You will need a 1532-236 or 1532-238 T5 Trans and a shorter driveshaft. Your present output yoke should work in the T5. Did have to "adjust" the flat trans hump slightly as the T5 is a little taller than the old trans. Had to make a small plate to move the shifter lever about 3 inches forward to clear the seat in the 2nd, 4th, & Rev positions. More than happy to answer any more questions you may have.

Fred

i would guess that your setup would work on my truck. a 52 f3 with a 215 six. it has the old spurgear 4 speed so i would need the bellhousing. i believe that the 223 is just a punched out 215 and that they are the same outwardly. money being what it is the swap wont happen this year. i do have a nine inch ford installed with a 3.25 ratio. gear changes on those are easy though if the 3.25 is too tall. got it for nothing so no harm no foul. i guess mumfert should have what i need ( for a price)

Back