223 Fuel Pump Problems

Steves55

Is this modern gas doing a number on stock mechanical fuel pumps? For the second time in 2 months, the fuel pump in my 55 F100 223 Six decides to quit pumping fuel. One thing I haven't double checked is the flex line from the gas tank to fuel pump. Could this line prevent the fuel pump from functioning properly? I wish there was a mechanical pump out there that could withstand the alcohol content in the fuel. I may decide to scrap the stock pump and go with an electric.

I haven't noticed a problem with fuel pumps but the life of ordinary fuel line seems to have been shortened significantly by alchohol laden fuel. Way before "E10" my 58 F-100 was rescued a bunch of times for lack of fuel. I put 2 or 3 fuel pumps on it before I discuvered the braided flex hose from the tank to the fuel line was sucking closed under high fuel demand. Let it sit for a while and it would be fine until the next time I stepped hard on the accelerator. I finally just pushed a piece of regular 5/16" line on to verify and ultimately left it that way.

Lou Manglass

Are you speaking of the rubber hose that goes between the fuel pump and gas line? If not, I will take a look at my fuel tank and see if I can locate a rubber hose there. I was assuming that the metal fuel line plugged directly to the tank. I'm pretty new to this so I appreciate this and hope you don't mind what may to appear to be ignorant questions.

I found the problem...the rubber hose that connects from the main fuel line to the gas tank was splt therefore the pump was having a hard time drawing fuel. I could also see damp spots on top of the tank right below the hose. Swapped out the hose, primed the carb and she fired back up and for now, running great. Thanks again for the help. I learn something new everyday

Back