gear ratios in the t5 with 223 engine

FlimFlamMan

OK, things are going good with the 223 t-5 swap so far. I got a hold of John Mummert and he needed me to send a bell housing down to him. OK, I found one. Now I have a new Question. I am trying to figure out which gear ratio I want in the transmission. The one I have has a 4.03 first gear, 2.37 second, 1.49 third 1.00 forth and 0.86 fifth. I've done some rpm checks at different speeds and I feel sure the 4.03 will be to high. Just a little better than what I have now which is 3.09 in second with the T-98. Plus High gear doesn't give me much relief on rpm's either.I like the looks of the 3.35 low and the 0.68 high. I like the rpm's I would get with fith gear, right around 19,000 I don't think I would be shifting in and out a lot. Not to worried about the middle gears just first and fifth. I have a 3.73 rear end in the ford now. I think, but I'm not sure that the 223 with my rears would handle low gear. I really don't want to have to change rears right now. Oh, by the way I will be running 225/75/R15. I believe they are the close radial to the original. Maybe when you all read this some of you will have already been where I am going and can help me out with the decission. The engine is stock for now but will be built a little in the near future. Thanks for any advice you might have.
Gary

You should decide what model t5 you will be using before Mummert makes up your adaptation kit. There are several different lengths of input shafts, pilot bearing sizes, and and throw out bearing guide lengths. He will need to know this to get you the correct parts. 3.73 rear and .68 od trans give you an overall ratio of 2.54 to 1. Maybe a little high geared for a small engine and a fairly heavy brick shaped pickup. The 3.35 low and 3.73 rear give a starting ratio of 12.5 0 to one. Maybe a bit low but probably 0k. the 4.03 low and 3.73 rear gives 15.03 to 1. Probably a little Grannyish for daily driving when the rpm peaks out before you get to the middle of the intersection. One thing about t5 trans, there are several other ratios available to calculate out. Chevys have different ratios sometimes but some of the input shafts are so short they would be hard to make work right with your truck bell housing which is thicker front to back than the car ones for your engine. Then, there is the shifter placement, speedometer calibration, and possible rear mount problems. Mummert can probably help you with all these problems, maybe recommend a good model t5 for your pickup. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorry to come in somewhat late on this, but I have been out of the country since the 6th. Assuming you have a pickup since you state a 3.73 rear. I run a 62 F100 with a stock 223/T5 with a 3.70 rear. I am using a 1352-238 T5 which I installed about 6 years ago. Has worked out very well, the 1st gear makes it very easy on the clutch and the OD in 5th has cut down the RPM significantly. In 5th, my final drive is cut to 2.701, and I normally hold RPM's between 1200 & 2000. Mine originally had a 3spd, so I utilized John Mummert's adapter plate with my bellhousing, which worked out very well with the long input shaft on the 238 trans. As has been already mentioned, you will have to do some homework, as to checking out the different inputs that will work together with your setup. Glad to answer any other questions you may have.

Fred

Back