6 is running well
new plugs
leads
condenser
cap
compresion 110 to 120 should be 150
vehicle is 1959 fairlane wagon , 3.5 diff
carb rebuilt
can lower compression cause heavy fuel consumpsion , like 10 liters / for 35 minuits driving , average 90 k's per hour ,
very heavy , need to fix or I will fit a 390 ci

Leon

In my language that's less than 11 mpg (miles per gallon). I doubt the compression down evenly like you describe would be the sole cause of that. I think I would have another look at the carburetor and maybe make certain the distributor advance is working properly. I would think that at around 55 miles per hour, even with your heavy car and a 3.50 rear axle, you should be able to manage at least 15 mpg or better.

Lou Manglass

Smell any gas while engine is running ????
Jump out and stick your hand directly under the fuel line fittings entering the fuel pump. You got any gas on your hand from that?
Any other fuel line leaks ?

You cannot re-use an old brass inlet fitting at the fuel pump. It has a tapered pipe thread, but as you tighten the thread, it does crush the diameter of the fitting.

I recommend running 5/16 inch metal tubing from the pump to the carb as much as possible without hose splices and secure the tubing to the engine using the original engine brackets. If you dont, the weight of the tubing and fuel can eventually weaken and loosen the pump inlet fitting. The best fuel line rubber hose money can buy begins to crack along the outside within a year. If you have hose splices or long pieces of rubber hose in the fuel system, I recommend keeping a close eye on them.

Back