Power brakes on 1960 f-100 w/Hydraulic clutch

FlimFlamMan

I was looking into the power brake conversion from CPP. I was concerned about weather it would fit next to the master cylinder for the clutch. I call them and they told me I would have to modify the clutch in some way but they couldn't tell me just what modification was going to have to be done. So I am wondering if anyone had used their power brake kit or if anyone could give me any information on which way to go with this type of brake modification. I have also looked into the Disc modification system with LMC, CPP and others and still looks like I would have to modify the clutch in some way. If I had it in front of me I could probably figure out what they are talking about but don't want to spend the money just to get a look at it. As always any help will be appreciated.
Buy the way Mummert's says they will be getting my bell housing back to me this week so I will be able to start hooking up the T-5. I am getting impatient, You know what I mean.
Gary

Do you feel that power brakes are necessary? I installed front disks on my 62 somewhat over 6 years ago and did not go with any booster, and to this point in time, I have not felt the booster was necessary. Mine is a short Unibody with a self built steel framed shell on the back, and with all the stuff I normally carry around, it weighs in at 4000 pounds. You might try it as a manual system first.

I installed a T5 in mine at about the same time, and I really am pleased with the whole setup. I feel these two upgrades have really made these old pickups a pleasure to drive and a whole lot of improvement in being able to handle modern traffic. Mine has a 223, and I utilized John Mummert's setup and I am very well satisified with his whole concept.

Fred

Fred,
I really haven't thought about doing the disc brake thing with out the power buster. That is a thought I will consider. I really don't have anything against the brakes the way they are. Just thought the improvement would make it a little more modern.
Yes, I am sure the t-5 will make me happy. My Bell Housing should be back in a couple of days. It and all the parts to put it back together. Thanks for the idea on the brakes. I will give that some more thought.
Gary (y)

Fred,
By the way do you remember what gear ratios you have in the t-5. I have gone with the 2.92-1.94-1.34-1.00 and 0.68 over. I figure that should do just about what I want. Should let me run between 1900 and 2000 @ around 65 mph. Sure hope my calculations were right.
gary :unsure::

Gary,

I used the 1532-238 T5. I normally keep the RPM between 1200 and 2000, it seems to like it in that range. Mine has a 3.70 rear and when the T5 is in 5th, this gives me an effective rear ratio of 2.701 and the 223 pulls very well. I have run this cross country twice and really like that the engine doesn't have to be screaming all the time in order to cover a lot of miles.

The brakes function very well without the booster, and have not felt the need to have boost.
Fred

I second Fred. I did a Speedway disc conversion on my 60 F100. I used a 70 Mustang dual M/C and NO booster. It stops fine.

OK, thanks guys. I still have a lot of work to do before I make up my mind on the brakes. I do believe I will strongly consider what you all have told me. Time and money will tell. Thanks again.
Gary

Back