Cleaning an Oil Breather Cap

Steves55

I need to clean the oil breather cap on my 223 but not sure what product to use. Appreciate some help. Thanks.

Any solvent, carb cleaner or even brake cleaner.
Anything special about the cap, may be about the same price to just replace it. Maybe find a chrome one , if your into chrome.

Thanks. I shoot some brake cleaner into it. I thought about just replacing it but none of the parts houses carry one for the 223-I was a bit suprised.

I used to pour kerosene through it and put the kerosene back in my parents hurricane lamp. Now I use whatever cleaner solvent I have laying around like carb cleaner or turpentine or something. But I still do it outside, not in the house.

Those breathers are stuffed with horse hair, so don't use any type of lye-based degreaser. It will turn the hair into mush.

I've had the same problem with getting on for my 1960 223. I gave up trying to buy one by the year and engine size. I just take mine in and match it up with the one that fits and is the same. Last one I cleaned had nothing left in it. :deadhorse:

Gary

I was able to score an NOS cap on E-Bay. Will I need to saturate the mesh with oil or just put it on dry? Thanks.

It's not an oil bath air filter. The contamination comes from inside. It will saturate itself.

ludwig":3t9245y5 said:
I used to pour kerosene through it and put the kerosene back in my parents hurricane lamp. Now I use whatever cleaner solvent I have laying around like carb cleaner or turpentine or something. But I still do it outside, not in the house.
Aw that's no fun!!! Light up a cigarette, pour the solvent in and use yer lighter to see if it's dissolving the crud! :LOL:

Back