Carb question for 58' F100 223

1958F100

I'm lookin for a carb kit for my 1958 Ford F100 with a 223. It has what I was told was the original 1 barrel, glass bowled, holly carb. The holly people told me that it would either be a model 1904 or a 1960 carb. Having a little trouble rounding up a kit. Also wondering what the difference is in these two models of carbs? Is one better then the other somehow? Any helpful info would be great!

1904 &1960 carbs are very close to same carb both a detachable float bowl lots of parts interchange and may take the same kits. 'Visiflow' versions used a glass float bowl in place of the metal one. The 1960's were used two years on Fords starting in 1956 "year" the 1904 was used a lot more years. According to the old Holley book it lists that a 1958 would have a 1904 though after all these years you never know if its still the orig. carb if it is there should be a list number and Ford part number stamped were the fuel line fitting ( looking at front of main body) (y) . Last kits I bought were at NAPA have not looked for a number of years now but will also need to pickup a couple kits soon. If you get the either or both kits check before opening the bag that they have same gaskets and parts as yours dose than you could still take it back, they were also used on many other auto and truck brands too. Good Luck

Yep...that is about what I paid at NAPA also ^^^^^

I recommend not using the crummy paper gasket for the float bowl unless you have a really good mating surface. Mine leaked like a sieve ... a cork gasket might work better

^Exactly.

Actually, the NAPA here now has upgraded kits, they actually come with cork/viton gaskets now! But I haven't run out of my own special cork/viton material yet, so I haven't actually used one yet. The fit perfectly though.

If you use any silicone type sealer on the bowl gasket, use it sparingly. The ethanol in gasoline will turn any excess into blobs the consistency of "snot" that will end up in the main jet. Voice of experience.

O'Reilly still has listings for Holley factory remanufactured 1904's. I had them search a part number for a '54 Ford 6 cylinder truck. A little pricey but I put two of them on a 226 Ford flattie and they worked great (other than the initial bowl leak on one carb).
Randy

Back