Vintage Interests? Mark 1,2 and 3 GB Ford Zephyrs?

xctasy

5K+
VIP
img38.gif

Any one Stateside seen these around? These are the scaled down 56 Fords, with a 155 cube in-line six. There are heaps of them in New Zealand, Aussie, and of course, England. Lots get Holley Weber 2-bbls, or triple SU's, and a wild exhast header to become a cool little ride!

addo strikes again. ;) Yes, I'd rather have the Globes for a XD Falcon ESP replica...he he he he.

These cars were even smaller than you'd realise, 63redtudor. The engines only had a 3.75 inch bore spacing, and were made in four and six cylinder versions. First ones were only 92 cube fours and 138 cube sixes. They were a real change from the long stroke '60' 136 and '85' 221 Flattie V8's that the Pilot and Verdette used and were totally different to any other six. They were similar to the Vauxhall light fours and sixes that GM Britian used...bore and stroke dimensions were the same.

The little four cylinder Consuls and six cylinder Zephyrs and up market delux Zodiacs are much smaller cars than the Falcons, and so are the engines too, share no common parts, and were built from 1951 to 1966. They were the first car to used MacPherson struts.

Ford of Britian, New Zealand, Australia cashed in on war time Flat head V8's...I've not seen any of the 215/223's around here. They are a cool piece of work through. Love the blue meenie Turbo charged engine in the earlier posts!

Xecute,
We had a discussion of the Zephyr/Zodiac a while back, probably before you joined us. There is a picture of a 3 x 1 manifold for the Zodiac in Prof. Smith's book which prompted the question. As far as anyone could determine, they were unknown on this side of the pond. Ford imported a lot of different Euro cars at various times, but apparently not that one. They might have felt it was too close to the round-body Falcon in size/market.

My parents first car was a Ford Anglia of late 40s or very, very early 50s vintage. I just barely remember it. Later on Ford imported the Cortina, and IIRC the Consul, from England and, briefly, the German Taunus. Ford never made the sort of committment to either of those vehices which would have been required to make them a commercial success in the US market, a trend that they continued with the Sierra/Merkur.

We had 'em in Canada, my father's first two cars were a Consul and Zephyr.... He says the Consul was faster.... LOL

SR: The Taunus importing must have been a US only thing... I've beat the crap out of a 78 2 door, but, it was imported from Germany by a Canadian soldier.... That little 2.0L Cologne V6 had some major snot once you got it wound up... Could have had something to do with the dual syncronous webers and 5 speed.... LOL
Evan

You wouldn't shoot yourself in the feet with foriegn ammo, would you?

I don't blame Ford US for not supporting there foriegn cousins. Quite often, they could be nasty lemons. But just how good would a Capri 2600 would have been with a Boss 302, or a Taunus/Cortina Six with a lighter 200 or 221 cube in-liner rather than than the cubless Cologne.

Mind you, asside from the lack of capacity, the little Cologne V6 in my Taunus -based TF Cortina was a real screamer... the 2.3 was just a bored out 2.0 liter. Major fun at 6600 rpm, still pulling with a Solex dual throat.

The Zephyr stuff had an optional Raymond Mays alloy head with twin or triple carb option. 168 hp from 2.55 liters in 1959. He went on to do the Lotus Cortina 1600 Twin Cam engine. Then the Alexanders did SU swaps on the Zephyr sixes too. Some of these engines ended up in the AC Ace, Acea, and were the forerunners to the AC Cobra. Raunchy sounding engines, those little sixes, with a reverburating zZZZZZzzz which sounded like an Aston Martin.

The MkIV that followed it was a major bummer...but with a 390 FE and some mags, it could be a cool cruiser!

There's a grey ute gets around Sydney, registered ZZ-1960, running triples and a checkerplate dash. It sounds mean. I actually just missed bailing the driver up a year ago; wanted to get some pics and details.

Adam.

Actually, the European Capri was sold in the US from 1970 - 1978. It was originally offered with the 1600 as the base engine and a 2.0 upgrade. Later years had the 2600 and the 2800 available. They were sold by Mercury dealers here, so they never really go the attention that they should have, but hey did sell in good numbers and were not bad cars.

I recall a friend getting a brand new 1972 2600 Capri for his high school graduation. The first thihng he had done was to remove the muffler and replace it with two glasspacks. LOUD! But he liked it.

I can't say if it was faster than a contempory Mustang, but it was considerably quicker and more comfortable than my J2 Midget!

Back