226 Intake / Exhaust

fordriving

We have a 49 Ford 226 Inline Six Flathead. Completely stock. Have interest in installing a exhaust header 3 into 1 (x 2) and new intake manifold, one complete assembly. Any thoughts on using two - one barrels for the old school look? Can I use the one barrel I have with another?

The 2 X 1 setup works great and you can use the one barrel you have with another matching one.

Not on a 226 Flathead but I have a 2 X 1V Offy setup for a 223 OHV six

Here is where I'm having a problem...mind you, nothing to back it up but, your OHV six should allow more intake and exhaust consideration than my small six? Yes -No? If yes, then buy using the 2-1 barrels, can I reduce the amount of air and fuel, say divide by 2 now? Each 1 barrel would be running...say at half capacity or do we need to run full capacity and allow the intake manifold distribute the flow over the intake? The math is simple, not sure if it is correct? Having the header and the two carbs sure will dress the engine up a whole bunch...just as long as we can still drive her? Thaniks for listening. John

Yes the OHV is slightly better than the Flathead design. Though the trouble with all inline sixes is that fuel is not distributed equally. With the carb in the center those cylinders closest to carb can be rich while the end cylinders can be lean. By using two carbs spaced out so that they feed only 3 cylinders than the fuel mixture is a closer match. In the early days most people used the existing stock carb and hunted for another to match some claimed to even get a little better gas mileage after they installed the 2 X 1V setups. With the engines efficiency and power increased with a good exhaust and intake system and proper tuning it should drive even better than a stocker did. There are also more 1V carbs today but the stock one or a pair Holley 1904 carbs should be a good match.

Thanks for all input. I like the idea of two carb set up
Have been in discussion with Reds
They are also going to add the intake using a flange from Victory and there header. Should make for a cool set up

Back